Outdoor notices: March 31
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 45.
• Bear Rocks Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 6. Class limit 65.
• Fairhope Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• Marion Center Park Hall, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 45.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• Rostraver Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. April 7. Class limit 35.
• Jefferson County Fairgrounds, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 6.
• Gobblers Knob Hunting Preserve, Beaver County, 5:30-9 p.m. April 10-11. Class limit 40.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, 5:30-9 p.m. April 10-11. Class limit 40.
• Mt. Morris Sportsman's Club, Greene County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. April 13. Class limit 45.
• Shelocta Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 13. Class limit 50.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 20. Class limit 80.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. April 20. Class limit 25.
• Millvale Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 20. Class limit 70.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, Beaver County, 5:30-8:45 p.m. April 22-23. Class limit 40.
• Lancaster Township Community Center, Butler County, 6-9:30 p.m. April 24-25.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 27. Class limit 50.
• Wilderness Wildlife Museum, Westmoreland County, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. May 11. Class limit 15.
• C& Y Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. May 18. Class limit 50.
• Heilwood Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. May 18. Class limit 60.
• Barr Township Rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. May 19. Class limit 30.
• Heritage House, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. June 29.
• Sigel Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 10.
• Warsaw Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 7.
• Brockway Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 21.
• Jefferson County fairgrounds, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 27.
• Allison Park Sportsmen's Club will hold its annual cleanup of Pine Creek from 8:30 a.m.-noon on April 6. Volunteers should meet at the ball field across from St. Ursula Church and sign in for assignments and directions. Lunch will be provided. For information, call Rich Simmen at 412-487-2873, Joe Landefeld at 412-487-3150, Sam Bacco at 412-372-6826 or Frank Zurawka at 412-782-2316.
• Pittsburgh Chapter of Safari Club International will hold its annual awards presentation and outfitter dinner and fundraising gala April 5-6 at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. The first day will feature exhibitors and awards; the second games, auctions, raffles, drawings and more. For tickets or information visit www.safariclubpittsburgh.org.
Shoots on tap
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot April 7, with registration from 8 a.m.-noon. at the clubhouse. Call 724-539-9303.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Laurel Region will hold its second annual “Clays for Kids' Sake” sporting clays shoot at 10 a.m. May 5 at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. Cost is $125 per shooter, which includes 100 targets, ammunition, gun rental, trapper gratuities, and a lunch buffet. Sponsor packages are also available. Prizes will be awarded based on Lewis class scoring. Contact Marcy Zajdel at email@example.com or 724-837-6198.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot on April 7, with registration from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Cost is $5 for youths and $10 for adults. Cubs shoot for free. Call 724-639-0360.
• The Wildlife For Everyone Endowment Foundation will hold its annual 100-round sporting clays classic May 31 at Seven Springs Resort, with registration starting at 9 a.m. Shooting games, including two-man flush and 15-bird, five-stand competitions, start at 10 a.m., with the main event beginning at 11 a.m. Dinner, awards, an auction and raffle will be held at 2:30 p.m. Cost is $125 per shooter, with sponsor packages and dinner-only tickets also available. Registration forms are available at www.wildlifeforeveryone.org or by calling 814-238-8138.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open Fridays for league and practice shooting. The club opens at 7 p.m. on Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase; shooting starts at dusk. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30 a.m.; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five stand shoots from 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club in Alverton hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups. Call 724-887-5404.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for ages 12-16, and free to 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
The Fish and Boat Commission has kicked off its spring trout stocking program. Here are waters getting fish, in some counties, for the week of April 1 to 7. Listed is the water to be stocked, the kind of fish it is to receive, the time, date and meeting location for the stocking truck, or, in cases, only the week of the stocking.
• Allegheny: Long Run, browns, noon Wednesday, Mammoth Dam.
• Armstrong: Cownashannock Creek, sections 3 and 4, brooks and browns, 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Marsha's Place, at routes 66 and 28, just before Route 85.
• Bedford: Wills Creek, browns and rainbows, 9:45 a.m. Saturday, Hyndman Post Office, Route 96.
• Cambria: Duman Lake, rainbows, and Stewart Run, brooks and browns, 11 a.m. Monday at the lake; Bens Creek, brooks, Laurel Run, tributary to the Conemaugh River, brooks and browns, Laurel Run, tributary to the South Fork of the Conemaugh River, brooks and browns, and Hinckston Run, brooks and browns, 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Bear Rock Sportsmen's Club, on Route 53 between Lilly and Portage; Beaverdam Run, browns and rainbows, Killbuck Run, brooks, Little Killbuck Run, brooks, Slate Lick Run, brooks and browns, and Clearfield Creek, browns and rainbows, 10:30 a.m. Friday, Ashville Post Office, Route 53.
• Fayette: Dunlap Creek Lake, rainbows, 11 a.m. Wednesday, Sheetz parking lot, Route 40 west of Uniontown; Yough River, browns and rainbows, 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Yough Dam office.
• Indiana: Cush Creek, browns and rainbows, Cush Cushion Creek, browns and rainbows, and South Branch Two Lick Creek, brooks and browns, 12:15 p.m. April 1, Glen Campbell, Route 286.
• Lawrence: Big Run, sections 2 and 3, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. Wednesday, Cascade park, at Route 65 and Frank Avenue; Bessemer Lake, rainbows, 11 a.m. Friday, at the lake, on Route 317.
• Somerset: Laurel Hill Lake, rainbows, 10:15 a.m. Tuesday, at the dam breast parking lot; Yough River, browns and rainbows, 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Yough Dam park office; Brush Creek, browns and rainbows, Wills Creek, section 2, browns and rainbows, and Shaffers Run, brooks and browns, 10 a.m. Friday, Hillbilly Haven Tavern, Route 96, one mile west of Fairhope Post Office; Wills Creek, section 3, browns and rainbows, 9:45 a.m. Saturday, Hyndman Post Office, Route 96.
• Westmoreland: Keystone Lake, rainbows, 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, at the park office; Mammoth Dam, rainbows, noon April 3, at the lake; Hannas Run, rainbows, Mill Creek, rainbows, and Northmoreland Lake, rainbows, noon Thursday, Loyalhanna Watershed Association office, Old Route 30, Ligonier.
Show commenting policy