Outdoor notices: April 6
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Frazier-Simplex (17-0) picked up another win in the Pittsburgh and Suburban Rifle league, beating Irwin Post 228 (6-11) 1,481-1,462.
Dormont-Mt. Lebanon (14-3) also won, downing short-handed Murrysville (6-11) 1,466-1,174, while Green Valley (6-11) beat Allegheny (5-11) 1,453-1,421. Clymer (5-12) had the bye.
John Husk of Frazier-Simplex, with two perfect 300s to his credit this season, fired a 298 to post the week's top score. Junior shooter Sylvia Dreistadt of Frazier-Simplex and Amy Smith of Dormont-Mt. Lebanon were the high ladies with 297s, while John Funk of Murrysville was high senior with a 296.
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Gobblers Knob Hunting Preserve, Beaver County, 5:30-9 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday. Class limit 40.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, 5:30-9 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday. Class limit 40.
• Mt. Morris Sportsman's Club, Greene County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. April 13. Class limit 45.
• Shelocta Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 13. Class limit 50.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 20. Class limit 80.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. April 20. Class limit 25.
• Millvale Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 20. Class limit 70.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, Beaver County, 5:30-8:45 p.m. April 22-23. Class limit 40.
• Lancaster Township Community Center, Butler County, 6-9:30 p.m. April 24-25.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 27. Class limit 50.
• Wilderness Wildlife Museum, Westmoreland County, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. May 11. Class limit 15.
• C& Y Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. May 18. Class limit 50.
• Heilwood Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. May 18. Class limit 60.
• Barr Township Rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. May 19. Class limit 30.
• Heritage House, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. June 29.
• Sigel Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 10.
• Warsaw Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 7.
• Brockway Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 21.
• Jefferson County fairgrounds, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 27.
Shoots on tap
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot Aug. 11, with registration from 8 a.m.-noon at the clubhouse. Youths and cubs shoot free on this day. Call 724-539-9303.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot May 5, with registration from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Cost is $5 for youths and $10 for adults. Cubs and women shoot for free. Call 724-639-0360.
• The Wildlife For Everyone Endowment Foundation will hold its annual 100-round sporting clays classic May 31 at Seven Springs Resort, with registration starting at 9 a.m. Shooting games, including two-man flush and 15-bird, five-stand competitions, start at 10 a.m., with the main event beginning at 11 a.m. Dinner, awards, an auction and raffle will be held at 2:30 p.m. Cost is $125 per shooter, with sponsor packages and dinner-only tickets also available. Registration forms are available at www.wildlifeforeveryone.org or by calling 814-238-8138.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open Fridays for league and practice shooting. The club opens at 7 p.m. on Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase; shooting starts at dusk. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30 a.m; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club in Alverton hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The Twi-night Trap league is underway, and shooters are welcome. Call Carl Shaffer at 724-887-8651. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups. Call 724-887-5404.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for ages 12 to 16, and free for 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
The Fish and Boat Commission has kicked off its spring trout stocking program. Here are waters getting fish, in some counties, for the week of April 8-14. Listed is the water to be stocked, the kind of fish it is to receive, the time, date and meeting location for the stocking truck, or, in cases, only the week of the stocking.
• Allegheny: Turtle Creek, browns and rainbows, 12:15 p.m. Tuesday, parking lot of exit 6 of the Turnpike; Flaugherty Run, browns, and Montour Run, browns and rainbows, 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, exit 22, Wexford, of I-79.
• Armstrong: Cowanshannock Creek, brooks and browns, week of April 15; Glade Run, brooks, browns and rainbows, noon Monday, Worthington Fire Hall parking lot, Route 422; Cornplanter Run, brooks and browns, Patterson Creek, browns and rainbows, Scrubgrass Creek, brooks, and Huling Run, brooks, 11:15 a.m. May 10, Goheenville, routes 66 and 28.
• Bedford: Clear Creek, sections 2 and 4, browns and rainbows, and Shobers Run, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Lower Landmark Restaurant, Route 30, Bedford.
• Butler: Cornplanter Run, brooks and browns, 11:15 a.m. May 10, Goheenville, intersection of routes 66 and 28; Harbor Acres Lake, brooks and browns, 11 a.m. Thursday, Boyers Sportsmen's Association, on Boyers Road, off Route 308; Bear Creek, brooks and browns, and Silver Creek, brooks, 11:30 a.m. Friday, Bruin Bowling Alley, Route 268.
• Clarion: Cathers Run, brooks and browns, and Mill Creek, tributary to Clarion River, brooks, 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sigel Post office, routes 36 and 949; Toms Run, brooks, 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Cook Forest State Park, Route 36, Cooksburg; East Sandy Creek, brooks, 11:30 a.m. Friday, Bruin Bowling Alley, Route 268.
• Fayette: Back Creek, brooks and browns, and Indian Creek, brooks and browns, noon Wednesday, Donegal Lake parking lot; Dunbar Creek, section 3, brooks, Mountain Creek, brooks and browns, and Georges Creek, brooks and browns, 11 a.m. Thursday, Franklin Memorial United Methodist Church, Route 1053; Big Sandy Creek, brooks and browns, and Chaney Run, brooks, 11 a.m. Friday, Wharton Township building, Route 381.
• Greene: Lake Wilma, rainbows, and Whiteley Creek, browns and rainbows, noon Wednesday, exit 2, I-79 and Route 2018.
• Somerset: Beaverdam Run, brooks and browns, Piney Run, brooks, Cub Run, brooks, and Clear Shade Creek, sections 2, 3 and 4, brooks, 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Ogletown, Route 56; Glade Run, brooks and browns, Piney Creek, brooks and browns, and Little Piney Creek, brooks, 10:30 a.m. Friday, Broadwater meat processing shop, Route 2010 and Greenville Road.
• Westmoreland: Fourmile Run, section 3, browns and rainbows, noon April 8, Donegal Lake Road; Turtle Creek, browns and rainbows, 12:15 p.m. Tuesday, exit 6 parking lot of the Turnpike; Donegal Lake, rainbows, and Indian Creek, section 3, brooks and browns, noon Wednesday, Donegal Lake parking lot; Hendricks Creek, brooks and browns, Tubmill Creek, brooks and browns, and Shannon Run, brooks, noon Thursday, Loyalhanna Watershed Association office, Old Route 30, Ligonier; Jacobs Creek, brooks and browns, and Linn Run, brooks, noon Friday, Donegal Lake parking lot.
Show commenting policy