Outdoors notices: April 14, 2013
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Sunday, April 14, 2013, 5:15 p.m.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will host a naturalist-led nature hike through Todd Nature Reserve in Butler County from 9 to 10 a.m. April 26. The event is free and open to the public. Call 412-963-6100.
• Gander Mountain in West Mifflin will hold a basic boating education course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. There is no cost to attend, but space is limited and pre-registration is required by calling 412-653-7300. All who pass the course will be eligible to get a boating safety education certificate.
• Venture Outdoors will host an introductory kayak program aimed at teaching people to paddle, all in the safety of a pool, from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the YMCA in Pittsburgh's Hill District. Participants, who must be at least 12, will learn paddle strokes, self-rescue techniques and more. Cost is $25 for members, $33 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and Seventh Street Sportsmen's Club in New Kensington will hold a basic boating course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 27 at the club, located at 604 Linden Ave. There is no cost to attend and lunch will be provided, but pre-registration is required by calling Sheldon Landis at 724-493-7224.
• Venture Outdoors will hold a campfire building program for children from 1 to 3 p.m. April 28 at Riverview Park in Allegheny County. It will be taught in three sections: collecting materials, choosing a site and fire building. Cost is $5 for kids ages 8 to 18, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will lead an outing to look for woodcock and a great blue heron nest at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. Meet at the parking lot for The Meadows, behind the Primanti Brothers restaurant off Exit 11 of Route 28 in Harmar. Be prepared for a muddy walk and bring a flashlight.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will host a naturalist-led bird hike through Succop Nature Reserve in Butler County from 8 to 10 a.m. Saturday. The event is free. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will hold an intermediate to advanced class on dry fly fishing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will learn about fly selection, leaders, reading the water, trout behavior and casting. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will hold an introductory fly fishing course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 4 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will learn about rods, reels, tippets, lines and flies, practice casting, then fish. No equipment is needed. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Area anglers recorded many top-ranked catches from 2013
- Outdoor notices: April 19
- Frye: Commission discusses ‘second opening day effect’
- Fishing report: Trout hitting well in most locations
- Outdoors notices: April 13
- Chronic wasting disease found in another deer in state