Fishing report: Yough River anglers doing well on trout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Anglers fishing the Yough River between West Newton and Smithton have been “hammering” trout, according to Frank Berarducci of Youghiogheny Canoe Outfitters. The fish have been hitting most consistently for those fishing with nightcrawlers from boats, he said.
• Trout anglers also have been doing well on Loyalhanna Creek, with the area around Sleepy Hollow and Kingston Dam getting lots of pressure. Maggots, wax worms, meal worms and spinners all have been taking fish.
• The last of the ice is finally gone from High Point Lake, though fishing pressure has been light in recent days.
• Anglers fishing the Allegheny River near pool 8 in Templeton have reported catching northern pike and muskies in recent weeks, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. One 50-inch musky was reportedly caught and released.
• Anglers on Slippery Rock Creek have been doing well since opening day of trout season, according to multiple reports. Fish have been hitting on Rooster Tails and live baits such as maggots and meal worms.
• The trout fishing was slow at Laurel Hill Lake on opening weekend, according to reports. Anglers have gotten some fish in the days since, though.
• Lake Oneida has seen a few fishermen targeting crappies. Catches have only been so-so, however.
• Crappie anglers have been doing a little better at Washington County's Cross Creek Lake. Minnows and jigs have been taking fish.
• Mammoth Dam has been giving up some trout, as well as a fair number of panfish. Most of the latter have been on the small side.
• At Virgin Run Dam, anglers have been getting trout in decent numbers, according to multiple reports. Powerbait has been taking many of the fish. Maggots have also reportedly been an effective bait.
• North Park Lake has seen good crowds of fishermen, including many in boats, who have been taking trout.
Bob Frye is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @bobfryeoutdoors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.