Outdoors notices: April 21, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a naturalist-led nature hike through Todd Nature Reserve in Butler County from 9 to 10 a.m. Friday. The event is free and open to the public. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a Lewis and Clark history hike from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 4 through Pittsburgh's West End. Living historian John McNulty will lead the seven- to nine-mile walk that will include music, readings and a fire-starting demonstration. The hike will go from the West End Village to the Duquesne Heights Greenway and Emerald View Park. Cost is $10 for members, $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and Seventh Street Sportsmen's Club in New Kensington will have a basic boating course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the club, located at 604 Linden Ave. There is no cost to attend, and lunch will be provided. But preregistration is required by calling Sheldon Landis at 724-493-7224.
• Venture Outdoors will have a campfire building program for children from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday at Riverview Park in Allegheny County. It will be taught in three sections: collecting materials, choosing a site and fire building. Cost is $5 for children ages 8-18, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will have a “Wilderness Survival 101” class from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 2 at Frick Park in Allegheny County. Designed for people of all skill levels, it will focus on basic skills, equipment and preparedness for situations when rescue might be expected within 72 hours. Participants must be at least 16. Cost is $40 for members, $53 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have its annual native plant sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 4 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Buyers can get native plants designed to attract birds and butterflies at discounted prices and talk to plant experts. It's free, but call 412-963-6100 to register.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will lead outings through Sewickley Heights Borough Park in Allegheny County at 7:30 a.m. May 3 and 31. It will begin at the park's upper parking lot. Bring lunch and water. Contact Bob VanNewkirk at 412-366-1694 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have its annual Migration Mania family birding festival from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 11 at Beechwood Farms Nature reserve in Allegheny County. There will be bird watching hikes, games and activities and binocular demonstrations and sales. Admission costs $6. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will have an introductory fly fishing course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 4 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will learn about rods, reels, tippets, lines and flies, practice casting, then fish. No equipment is needed. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State lawmaker still pushing merger of Pa. Game, Fish commissions
- Pennsylvania’s elk hunt brings unique opportunity to take record-size bulls
- Fish and Boat Commissioners not settled on wild vs. stocked trout
- Fishing report: Pymatuning walleye fishing remains tough
- Outdoors notices: July 28, 2014