Outdoor notices: For the week of April 29
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Venture Outdoors will lead a Lewis and Clark history hike from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday through Pittsburgh's West End. Living historian John McNulty will lead the seven- to nine-mile walk that will include music, readings and a fire-starting demonstration. The hike will go from the West End Village to the Duquesne Heights Greenway and Emerald View Park. Cost is $10 for members, $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will hold a “wilderness survival 101” class from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at Frick Park in Allegheny County. Designed for people of all skill levels, it will focus on basic skills, equipment and preparedness for situations when rescue might be expected within 72 hours. Participants must be at least 16. Cost is $40 for members, $53 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold its annual native plant sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Buyers can get native plants designed to attract birds and butterflies at discounted prices and talk to plant experts. It's free, but call 412-963-6100 to register.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will hold a free public program on edible wild plants from 1 to 4 p.m. May 11. There will be an introduction to plant identification and an outdoor walk with instruction in finding and identifying locally common edible plants. An indoor session on preparing and sampling wild foods will follow. Space is limited and preregistration is required by Friday by calling 724-794-6011.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will lead outings through Sewickley Heights Borough Park in Allegheny County at 7:30 a.m. Friday and May 31. It will begin at the park's upper parking lot. Bring lunch and water. Contact Bob VanNewkirk at 412-366-1694 or email@example.com.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold its annual Migration Mania family birding festival from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 11 at Beechwood Farms Nature reserve in Allegheny County. There will be bird-watching hikes, games and activities, and binocular demonstrations and sales. Admission costs $6. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will hold an introductory fly fishing course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will learn about rods, reels, tippets, lines and flies, practice casting, then fish. No equipment is needed. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoor notices: July 20, 2014
- Bass, bluegills, catfish keep anglers busy
- Outdoors notebook: Elk visitor center deal reached
- Changes made to senior lifetime fishing licenses