Outdoors notices for the week of May 6, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a free Mother's Day wildflower walk from 2 to 3:30 p.m. May 12 at its wildflower reserve. Meet at the interpretive center for this hike, which will focus on flower identification, medicinal and edible uses, and folklore. Call 724-899-3611.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a seven- to nine-mile hike to see the waterfalls of McConnells Mill State Park in Lawrence County from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 25. It will range from easy to difficult. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• The people behind the new Shenango River Water Trail will hold their Rally on the River starting at 8:15 a.m. June 1 in Mercer County. Paddlers will go from Riverside Park in Greenville to Shenango Valley RV Park in Transfer. There will be shuttles, a wildlife while afloat contest, and more. Cost is $10. Contact Hugh Clark at 724-927-9483 or email@example.com.
• Venture Outdoors will hold its annual Outdoors Festival from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 18 at Point State Park. There will be a climbing wall, kayaking, fishing, biking, dragon boating, arts, crafts, music and more. The event is free. Call 412-255-0564.
• Butler Outdoor Club will hold its annual Outdoor Extravaganza at Breakneck Campground in Butler County from May 24-27. The event will feature canoeing and kayaking, hiking, biking, rock climbing, horseback riding, children's activities and workshops on topics from outdoor photography to wilderness survival. There will be a gear swap and flea market, too. Registration is required for some activities at www.outdoorextravaganza.org.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold its annual Migration Mania family birding festival from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Beechwood Farms Nature reserve in Allegheny County. There will be bird-watching hikes, games and activities, and binocular demonstrations and sales. Admission costs $6. Call 412-963-6100.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a free program on bluebirds from 2 to 3:30 p.m. May 19 at the park's wildflower reserve interpretive center. Scott Parry, the park's bluebird trails coordinator, will discuss the bluebird's natural history and how to attract bluebirds to your property. Call 724-899-3611.
• Venture Outdoors will hold a program on “matching the hatch” for fly fishermen from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Fly fishing experience is required. There will be time spent fishing. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold a fishing rodeo for children 12 and younger from 1 to 3 p.m. June 2 on freshly stocked Tom's Run, between the swinging bridge and the children's fishing pond. Registration and prize giveaways will take place at the pond behind the park office. Call 814-744-8407.
• The Pittsburgh-based RiverQuest is again sponsoring a fishing camp this summer. “Angler's Adventure” is being offered for two age groups, kids 7 to 9 and 10 to 12, from July 17-21. Participants will learn about spin and fly fishing, as well as conservation. Gear is provided, though kids can bring their own if they prefer. Cost is $250. Call 412-231-2712.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notebook: New license plates, changes to youth trout program coming in 2015
- Outdoors notices: Nov. 24, 2014
- Allegheny County buck could prove to be state’s largest ever taken