Fishing report: Trout, walleyes keeping anglers busy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Anglers have been getting trout at Keystone State Park Lake on Powerbait, maggots and waxworms, and trout and bass on minnows. Crowds have been relatively light overall, though.
• On the Allegheny River, anglers using minnows have picked up smallmouth bass and walleyes, most of them sublegal, between Natrona Heights and Sharpsburg.
• Loyalhanna Creek anglers fishing at Kingston Dam and into Latrobe have been getting trout on a variety of live baits. A few anglers also have been fishing the delayed harvest section, but there's been no word on catches there.
• North Park Lake has been giving up trout to those fishing with minnows, Powerbait and Rooster Tails.
• Crappies have been caught at Green Lick Lake, but the bite reportedly has not turned on just yet. Bluegills also have been caught.
• Fishermen reportedly have been doing well at Pymatuning Lake on crappies, with much of the action coming from the southern end of the lake. The hot baits have been 1⁄8-ounce jigs tipped with soft plastic grubs and minnows floated under a bobber. Walleyes have been taking drifted nightcrawlers and Rapala minnows.
• At Lake Erie, anglers have been getting perch in 38 feet of water near Trout Run. Smallmouth bass were being caught in the lake's tributary streams.
• Anglers fishing Virgin Run Dam with minnows, Powerbait and Kastmasters have been picking up trout.
• At Yellow Creek Lake, anglers have been picking up northern pike on shiners and crankbaits. A few crappies and yellow perch also have provided action.
• The outflow area of Crooked Creek Lake has been getting lots of anglers, with catches of bass, bluegills and crappies.
• Anglers using live minnows, artificial minnows and nightcrawlers have picked up trout and smallmouth bass on the Yough River between Smithton and West Newton.
• Crappies have been hitting at Shenango Lake, but most have been small so far.
• Fishermen on the delayed harvest portion of Laurel Hill Creek above the dam got trout this week, primarily on flies. A few trout were caught in the lake itself, although the bite was a bit slow.
• Anglers fishing around Dashields and Emsworth dams on the Ohio River reportedly have picked up some walleyes and hybrid striped bass, mostly on nightcrawlers, crankbaits and large minnows.
Show commenting policy