Outdoors notices: May 11, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
There's a new leader in the Twi-Night Trap League. Youngwood has taken over first place with 25 points, bypassing Ruffs Dale, which dropped to second with 24 points. Connellsville is in third with 17.5 points followed by Hecla in fourth with 16 and East Huntingdon in fifth with 71⁄2 Posting perfect scores last week were Bill Bentz, Joe Miller Sr., Joe Kislan, J.T. Spangler, and Josh Kunkle from Youngwood, Bill Newell, Jay Miller and John Gaebel from Hecla, Glenn Coleman, Mindy Kovac and Bill Petras from Ruffs Dale, Kris Capo from Connellsville and Eric Rhodes and Ryan Lynn from East Huntingdon.
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• C& Y Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 18. Class limit 50.
• Heilwood Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 18. Class limit 60.
• Barr Township Rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, noon to 7 p.m. May 19. Class limit 30.
• Gander Mountain-Richland, Cambria County, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 25. Class limit 25.
• Star Junction Fish and Game Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 25. Class limit 40.
• Moss Creek Rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, noon to 7 p.m. June 1. Class limit 50.
• Gilpin Rifles Inc., Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 8. Class limit 20.
• Beaver County YMCA, Beaver County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 8. Class limit 40.
• Gander Mountain-Washington, Washington County, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 8. Class limit 50.
• Aliquippa Bucktails, Beaver County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 15. Class limit 40.
• Benscreek Social and Citizens Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. June 15. Class limit 40.
• Kingston Vets and Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 22. Class limit 55.
• Colver Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 22. Class limit 40.
• Keystone Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 29. Class limit 40.
• Heritage House, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 29.
• Buffalo Valley Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 6. Class limit 50.
• Northern Cambria Civil Defense Club, Cambria County, noon to 7 p.m. July 7. Class limit 30.
• Greensburg Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 P.M. July 13. Class limit 25.
• Freeport Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 13. Class limit 40.
• Whitehall Borough Community Building, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 13. Class limit 55.
• Lloydsville Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 20. Class limit 15.
• Springdale District Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 27. Class limit 40.
• Sigel Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 10.
• Warsaw Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 7.
• Brockway Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 21.
• Jefferson County fairgrounds, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 27.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold basic boater/personal watercraft operator safety courses starting at 9 a.m. May 18, June 8 and July 13 at Mosites MotorSports in North Huntingdon. Cost is $20 per person and includes morning snacks and lunch. Space is limited. Register by calling 724-684-5320.
• Reel Recovery, a national non-profit organization that conducts free fly fishing retreats for men recovering from all types of cancer, is accepting applications for people looking to take part in its Pennsylvania retreat, which will be held June 10 to 12 at the Allenberry Resort in Boiling Springs. For information or to register, visit www.reelrecovery.org
• Tubmill Trout Club will hold its annual “Kids Day” on May 18 and 19 at the Altimus farm. It's open to children 16 and younger. There will be free food and prizes both days. For detaqils, visit www.tubmilltroutclub.org.
Shoots on tap
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road in Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot Aug. 11, with registration from 8 a.m. to noon at the clubhouse. Youths and cubs shoot free on this day. Call 724-539-9303.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association will hold a 3-D archery shoot May 19 with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for juniors ages 12 to 16. Youths 11 and younger shoot for free. The kitchen will be open. Call 724-887-5404. The club hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot June 2, with registration from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $5 for youths and $10 for adults. Cubs and women shoot for free this day. Call 724-639-0360.
• The Wildlife For Everyone Endowment Foundation will hold its annual 100-round sporting clays classic May 31 at Seven Springs Resort with registration starting at 9 a.m. Shooting games, including two-man flush and 15-bird, five-stand competitions, start at 10, with the main event beginning at 11. Dinner, awards, an auction and raffle will be held at 2:30 p.m. Cost is $125 per shooter. Sponsor packages and dinner-only tickets also are available. Registration forms are available at www.wildlifeforeveryone.org or by calling 814-238-8138.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road in Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open Fridays for league and practice shooting. The club opens at 7 p.m. Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase; shooting starts at dusk. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds 5-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and from 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.
The Fish and Boat Commission has kicked off its spring trout stocking program. Here are waters getting fish, in some counties, for the week of May 13 to 19. Listed is the water to be stocked, the kind of fish it is to receive, the time, date and meeting location for the stocking truck, or, in cases, only the week of the stocking.
• Armstrong: Cowanshannock Creek, section 3, brooks and browns, week of May 13; Redbank Creek, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. May 13, Plyler's Buffet and Family Restaurant; North Fork Pine Creek, browns and rainbows, and South Fork Pine Creek, brooks and browns, noon May 16, Baum pump station, routes 66 and 28.
• Bedford: Gladdens Run, browns and rainbows, and Little Wills Creek, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. May 16, 9:30 a.m., Hyndman Post Office, Route 96.
• Butler: Bear Creek, brooks and browns, 10:45 a.m. May 16, Bruin Bowling Alley, Route 268.
• Clarion: Redbank Creek, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. May 13, Plyler's Buffer and Family Restaurant; Beaver Creek, browns and rainbows, and Turkey Run, browns and rainbows, 10:45 a.m. May 16, Bruin Bowling Alley, Route 268.
• Fayette: Meadow Run, sections 5 and 6, browns and rainbows, 10:30 a.m. May 14, waterslide parking lot, Route 381, Ohiopyle; Dunlap Creek Lake, rainbows, 11 a.m. May 15, Sheetz, Route 40 west of Uniontown; Dunlap Creek, browns and rainbows, Mountain Creek, brooks and browns, and Georges Creek, brooks and browns, 11 a.m. May 16, Sheetz, Route 40 west of Uniontown.
• Indiana: Little Mahoning Creek, sections 2, 3 and 4, brooks and browns, noon May 15, Rochester Mills Presbyterian Church.
• Lawrence: Big Run, sections 2 and 3, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. May 13, Cascade Park, Route 65/Franklin Avenue; Neshannock Creek, section 2, browns and rainbows, 10:30 a.m. May 17, at the bridge at Volant.
• Somerset: Jones Mill Run, brooks and browns, and Laurel Hill Creek, section 3, browns and rainbows, 10:15 a.m. May 14, CoGo's, Route 31, Bakersville; Gladdens Run, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. May 16, 9:30 a.m., Hyndman Post Office, Route 96; Wills Creek, section 2, browns and rainbows, 9:45 a.m. May 17, Hillbilly Haven tavern, Route 96, one mile west of Fairhope Post Office.
• Westmoreland: Loyalhanna Creek, sections 4 and 5, browns and rainbows, week of May 13; Mill Creek, rainbows, noon May 16, Loyalhanna Watershed Association, Old Route 30, Ligonier.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notices: Oct. 20, 2014
- Outdoors notebook: Area angler honored for working with kids
- Frye: Bright future for Yough River
- New tricks available for squirrel hunters
- Fishing report: Fall bite sparks good fishing
- Outdoor notices: Oct. 19, 2014