Outdoors notices: June 9, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a free naturalist-led morning hike through Todd Nature Reserve in Sarver in Butler County from 9 to 10 a.m. Friday. Call 412-963-6100.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will have a hike along Sugar Run from 3 to 4 p.m. June 17. Meet at the Old Mitchell parking area for a walk along the trail that connects Old Mitchell to Jonathan Run. Call 724-329-0986.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a seven- to nine-mile waterfall hike through Ohiopyle State Park from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 22. Hikers will learn some history of the area along the way. Cost is $6 for members, 410 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will lead a Strawberry Moon night hike from 9 to 10:30 p.m. June 22. Hikers should meet at the old main picnic area to walk and learn about fireflies and tree frogs. Bring a flashlight. Call 724-899-3611.
• Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County will have an evening eco-paddle on its lake from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Preregistration is required by calling 814-352-8649.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will have a beginners kayak program from 2 to 4 p.m. June 29. Participants will learn to paddle while exploring the lake. Preregistration is required by calling 724-668-2939.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a free Firefly Watch training program to teach citizens how to monitor fireflies as part of a worldwide research project from 8 to 10 p.m. Friday. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have Fun with Feathers and Bird Bingo programs for children from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 p.m., respectively, June 14. Participants will learn about feathers and bird behaviors, then take a hike while playing a game. Call 724-357-7913.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will have a program on learning to archery shoot for children ages 9-15 from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday. Certified instructors will teach basic skills. Cost is $5. Preregistration is required by calling 724-899-3611 by Wednesday.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have a Salamander Safari from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Participants will explore Laurel Run for salamanders and other creatures. Wear shoes that can get wet. It's open to all ages, but space is limited to 40 people. Preregistration is required by calling 724-357-7913.
• Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County will have the Great Backyard Campout from June 22-23. It's meant to teach newcomers all about camping, from how to set up a tent to campfire cooking. A tent, meals and instruction are provided. Cost is $45 per family group. Preregistration is required by calling 814-352-8649.
• Three Rivers Bird Club will lead a free outing to Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County on Saturday to see warblers, cliff swallows, tanagers and more. Meet at the Dairy Queen off the Donegal exit of the Turnpike at 7 a.m.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a free outing to Walter Nature Reserve in Westmoreland County at 10 a.m. June 22. Participants will learn to Read the Landscape. Visit wbnc.net/#outings for directions.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will have a fishing festival from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Activities will be centered around the Bear Run boat launch on the south shore. Participants can learn about fishing gear, skills and techniques, then try their hand at fishing, without first having to buy a license. Preregistration is required by contacting Stephanie Taylor at 724-368-8811 or email@example.com.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will have a fishing derby for all ages and a casting contest for children ages 7-14 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Prizes will be awarded at the end of the event. Call 724-668-2939.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a weekend-long fishing trip focused on fly fishing for warmwater species like smallmouth bass July 6-7. Participants will bike the Great Allegheny Passage between Meyersdale and Fort Hill and fish the Casselman River along the way. Cost is $160 for members, $210 for nonmembers and includes lodging. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will host an introductory backpacking program from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in South Park in Allegheny County. Participants will learn about water filtration, how to pack, cooking, safety and more. Cost is $15 for members, $20 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frye: Of bills, ticks, outdoor apps
- Mentored youth day draws crowds, not complaints
- Outdoors notebook: Pennsylvania will maintain walleye, yellow perch limits
- Bagging a spring gobbler is about more than making noise
- Outdoor notices: April 26, 2015
- Fishing report: County parks open lakes to boating
- Outdoor notices: March 29, 2015
- Game Commissioners reduce allotment of doe tags
- Frye: Figuring out deer dilemma
- Outdoors notebook: Hunters Sharing the Harvest has big year