Outdoors notices: June 22, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Hecla Sportsmen's Club is in third place in the Twi-Night Trap League standings, far enough back that a run to first is probably out of the question. But that didn't stop it from matching Youngwood for one week. Each team had six shooters record perfect scores as they tied for the best mark in this past Thursday's shoot. On the season, Youngwood still leads with 54 points, followed by Ruffs Dale with 46.5, Hecla with 35.5, Connellsville with 27.5 and East Huntingdon with 16.5. Those with perfect scores were: Jay Miller, Ed Maczka, Joe Rhodes, Kevin Kunkle, Bill Newell and David Newell from Hecla; Orv Bolbrich, Rowland Jones, Jerry Hanna, Lou Sartoris, John Peairs and Joe Miller Sr. from Youngwood; Andy Zborovsky, Lou Diorio and Jon Schroyer from Ruffs Dale; Jeff Padgelek and Carl Shaffer from East Huntingdon; and Barry Firestone and Bob Baer from Connellsville.
Hunter safety courses
Note: Preregistration required at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Laughlintown Community Center, Westmoreland County, 6-9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Class limit 35.
• Keystone Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. June 29. Class limit 40.
• Heritage House, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. June 29.
• Keystone Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. June 29. Class limit 50.
• Buffalo Valley Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. July 6. Class limit 50.
• Northern Cambria Civil Defense Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. July 7. Class limit 30.
• Champion Christian School, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. July 9. Class limit 60.
• Greensburg Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. July 13. Class limit 25.
• Benscreek Social and Citizens Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. July 13. Class limit 40.
• Mountain Lodge Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. July 13. Class limit 30.
• Charleroi Gun Club, Washington County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. July 13. Class limit 40.
• Freeport Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. July 13. Class limit 40.
• Whitehall Borough Community Building, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. July 13. Class limit 55.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. July 13. Class limit 45.
• Lloydsville Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. July 20. Class limit 15.
• Ross Township Recreation Center, Allegheny County, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. July 20. Class limit 100.
• Nixon Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. July 20. Class limit 40.
• Scullton Rod and Gun Club, Somerset County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. July 20. Class limit 35.
• Shaner Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. July 20. Class limit 45.
• Springdale District Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. July 27. Class limit 40.
• Herminie #2 Game Association, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. July 27. Class limit 25.
• Bull Creek Road and Gun Club, Allegheny County, 5-9 p.m. July 29 and 30. Class limit 40.
• St. John's Church, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 3. Class limit 50.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 3. Class limit 40.
• Police Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 3. Class limit 80.
• Maple Leaf Rod and Gun Club, Somerset County, 6-9 p.m. Aug. 8 and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Aug. 10. Class limit 35.
• Sigel Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 10.
• Ford City Sportsmen's Association, Armstrong County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 10. Class limit 25.
• Benscreek Social and Citizens Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Aug. 10. Class limit 40.
• Millvale Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 10. Class limit 70.
• Gallitzin Sportsmen's Association, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 10. Class limit 60.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Association, Fayette County, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Aug. 17. Class limit 40.
• Apollo Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 24. Class limit 50.
• Pine Run Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 24. Class limit 40.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 24. Class limit 50.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association, Washington County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 24. Class limit 80.
• Warsaw Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 7.
• Brockway Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 21.
• Jefferson County fairgrounds, Jefferson County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 27.
• Indiana County Fox and Coon Club, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 29. Class limit 36. Preregister at www.pgc.state.pa.us. Call John Somonick at 724-463-0651 or Linda Jones at 724-463-0651 for information only.
Note: Preregistration required at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Millvale Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. July 20.
• Police Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 4.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boater/personal watercraft operator safety course at 9 a.m. July 13 at Mosites MotorSports in North Huntingdon. Cost is $20 per person and includes morning snacks and lunch. Space is limited. Register by calling 724-684-5320.
Shoots on tap
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot Aug. 11, with registration from 8 a.m. to noon at the clubhouse. Youths and cubs shoot free on this day. Call 724-539-9303.
• Trafford Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot June 23, with registration from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $8 per shooter, though youths 12 and younger shoot for free. Call 412-372-3820 or visit traffordsportsmen.org.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association holds action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month, pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays and silhouette shoots starting at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. A ladies pistol league shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association will hold a 3-D archery shoot June 30, with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for ages 12 to 16. Youths 11 and younger shoot for free. The kitchen will be open. Call 724-887-5404. The club hosts trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot July 7 with registration from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Youths shoot free on this day; cost is $10 for adults. Call 724-639-0360.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays, skeet shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open at 7 p.m. Fridays for league and practice shooting. Cost is $4 per round, and the public is welcome. Food and drinks are available for purchase. A bike run to benefit the trap and rifle range is being held July 27. Call 724-945-5275 or visit ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30 a.m.; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Frye: Antlers worth another look
- Outdoors notebook: Game Commission will publish 2 books
- Profits have illegal trafficking in fish, wildlife on the rise
- Fishing report: Catfish hitting on Ohio River
- Outdoors extra: Gear, tip and recipe of the week