Outdoors notices: June 23, 2013
• Ryerson Station State Park in Greene County will have a Saturday night star hike from 9 to 10 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn about constellations and do some stargazing. The program is free. Call 724-428-4254.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a hike to explore the historic sites and architecture of Butler from 9 to 11:30 a.m. July 7. Iced coffee will be provided. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have a sunset tea cruise from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Participants will ride a boat to the dam and back in time to see the sunset on Chestnut Ridge. Meet at the boat rental in the main day use area. Cost is $10 per person and seating is limited to 10 people. Preregister by calling 724-357-7913.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will have a beginners kayak program from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn to paddle while exploring the lake. Preregistration is required by calling 724-668-2939.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have Owl and Mouse and Owl Prowl programs for children Friday with the former from 8 to 9 p.m. and the latter from 9 to 10. Participants will learn about owl vocalizations and silent flight and play a game before going on a hike. Call 724-357-7913.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a Firefly Watch program from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. July 11 at Butler Area Memorial Library. Participants will learn about how to monitor fireflies as part of a national effort. It's open to adults and children at no cost. Call 412-963-6100.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will have a Celebrate the Bloom event to celebrate its prairie from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. July 20. There will be prairie walks, workshops and demonstrations, food and vendors, entertainment, and more. Some events require preregistration. Call 724-794-6011.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a weekend-long fishing trip focused on fly fishing for warmwater species like smallmouth bass July 6 and 7. Participants will bike the Great Allegheny Passage between Meyersdale and Fort Hill and fish the Casselman River along the way. Cost is $160 for members, $210 for nonmembers and includes lodging. Call 412-255-0564.