Fishing report: Allegheny River hot for catfish
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Anglers fishing the Allegheny River in the area of Kelly Station have been doing well on saugers, according to Fish and Boat Commission officer Bruce Gundlach. Most were being caught on minnows, he said. Anglers have also been getting walleyes and channel catfish.
• At Acme Dam, anglers were picking up largemouth bass and bluegills this week, with nightcrawlers and red worms being the top baits.
• Anglers fishing the Beaver River in the area of New Brighton Dam were getting good numbers of flathead and channel catfish recently, with cut bait, chicken livers and stink baits taking fish.
• Fair numbers of people have been fishing Donegal Lake. This past week, they were taking the occasional trout, as well as bluegills, bass and crappies.
• Mark Ludwig of Latrobe was fishing Keystone State Park Lake recently when he landed a large largemouth bass on a plastic worm rigged on a #6 hook. The fish, full of eggs, was returned alive to the water.
• The Ohio River has been productive for catfish recently, with anglers taking large flatheads near the Montgomery Lock and Dam.
• The panfish have been hit or miss at Wilmore Dam, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• At Lake Somerset, anglers were taking bluegills and yellow perch on nightcrawlers, as well as channel catfish on chicken livers. Bullhead catfish up to about 12 inches were hitting on livers and worms. A 25-pound carp was also reported caught.
• Walleyes, white bass and smallmouth bass have all been hitting on the Monongahela River, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Live minnows and soft plastics have been the top baits.
• South Fork of Ten Mile Creek has been productive for catfish, with fish being caught upstream as far as Clarksville. Stink baits and chicken livers have been productive.
• Loyalhanna Creek was running high and muddy early in the week, but dropped fast and was seeing fishing pressure as of Thursday. There was no word on catches.
• Walleyes were providing some action at Lake Arthur prior to this week's storm, with most being caught by anglers trolling. The hybrid striped bass action has also been good at dusk.
• At Yough Dam, anglers have been taking walleyes along with some bass.
• Anglers fishing Upper and Lower Twin lakes have been taking carp, catfish and some smaller bass. Soft plastic baits rigged wacky style have been taking many of the bass.
• Panfish have been biting consistently at Northmoreland Lake, but many of the fish have been on the small side.
• Walleyes have been biting well at Pymatuning Lake for those trolling. The crappie bite has been hit or miss.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fishing report: Aug. 15, 2014
- Outdoors notebook: Hunting has environmental benefits
- Game Commission may adopt user permit for game lands
- Pheasant hunting inequities outlined