Fishing report: High waters dampen fishing
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• The heavy rains of this past week have played havoc with the fishing. Loyalhanna Creek, for example, was roaring Thursday, an unfishable brown running over its banks.
• The Allegheny River was likewise high. Prior to the storms, though, the river had been giving up lots of smallmouth bass to anglers fishing soft plastic baits.
• High Point Lake was giving up decent numbers of largemouth and smallmouth bass early in the week, Fish and Boat Commission officer Pat Ferko said.
• Anglers have been picking up smallmouth bass from Yough Dam. The walleye bite has been OK, but the fish have been moving away from shore to deeper water, according to reports.
• At Indian Lake, fishermen have been getting carp on dough baits. Bluegills have also been hitting, along with the occasional bass.
• At Pymatuning lake, anglers have been getting walleyes by fishing in eight to 12 feet of water using nightcrawlers on a jig, Rapala shad raps and, to a lesser degree, Hot 'N Tots. A few crappies and yellow perch were also being caught.
• Anglers have been picking up bass in Presque Isle Bay, largely by fishing with spinnerbaits and crankbaits.
• One angler caught and released a channel catfish longer than 20 inches at Upper Twin Lake recently. Bass and bluegills have also been hitting for those using soft plastics and worms, respectively.
• Anglers have been getting good catches of yellow perch in 38-40 feet of water off Trout Run and the Clay Banks in Lake Erie, according to reports.
• At Yellow Creek Lake, northern pike catches have been good all around the lake, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Most fish have been sublegal.
• At Lake Wilhelm, fishermen have been doing well on crappies and bluegills. The latter especially are reported to be nice-sized.
• At Dunlap Creek Lake, fishermen able to fish weedless have been getting good numbers of largemouth bass, according to reports. Bluegills have also been hitting.
• Anglers were still picking up trout early in the week from the Yough Dam tailrace.
• Cross Creek Lake was giving up some decent largemouth bass, as well as a few crappies, according to one report.
Show commenting policy