Outdoors notices: July 7, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will host a free hike along Jonathan Run Trail from 1 to 3 p.m. July 14. Participants will see a waterfall. Call 724-329-0986.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will lead a 41⁄2-mile hike over moderately hilly terrain to explore its western valleys from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 20. Meet at the parking lot of the Camp Trail trailhead on Cabin Road. Call 724-899-3611.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a guided tree identification hike from 10 a.m. to noon July 27 at Todd Nature Reserve in Butler County. Participants will get to adopt a tree. Cost is $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will host an evening nature paddle to explore shorelines and wetland areas from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday. Meet at the launch by the boat concession at 6:15. Bring your own canoe or kayak or rent one for a fee. Call 724-899-3611.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will host a blue heron and kingfisher paddle from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Participants can bring their own canoe or kayak or borrow one free of charge, though pre-registration is required. This is open to all those 9 and older, though those younger than 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Call 724-368-8811.
• Venture Outdoors will host a waterkeeper paddle and whiskey tasting event for those 21 and older from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday on the Ohio river and Chartiers Creek in Allegheny County. Paddlers will cover five miles, learning about water quality issues and what can be done to address them, before going to Wigle Whiskey for a tasting and tour. Cost is $40 for members, $53 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0561.
• Venture Outdoors will host an in-the-water program on how to do canoe-over-canoe rescues from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 10 at North Park in Allegheny County. Cost is $25 for members, $35 for nonmembers. Tandem canoes are provided, but if you bring your own tandem canoe, you get a discount. Call 412-255-0561.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a “lost ladybug” workshop from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Friday at the Westmoreland Conservation District office in Greensburg. Several species of native ladybugs are becoming rare; this workshop will teach people to identify those they see and report those results to scientists for a monitoring project. Call 412-963-6100.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will host a “Celebrate the Bloom” event to celebrate its prairie from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. July 20. There will be prairie walks, workshops and demonstrations, food and vendors, entertainment, and more. Some events require pre-registration. Call 724-794-6011.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a weekend-long workshop on edible wild plants Aug. 3-4. Participants will learn to identify summer edible plants, trees, and poisonous plant, then forage and prepare meals, discuss nutritional values of wild plants, plant history and past usages as edibles. Cost is $45. Pre-registration is by July 26 by calling 724-899-3611.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold an “outdoor adventure” program from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 8 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will start the day by making a birch walking stick, hike to a clearing, then make a whistle in the end of the stick, attach a lanyard to it and inlay a compass. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• The North Country Trail Association will hold a “trailfest” at Slippery Rock University in Butler County from Aug. 12-17. There will be hikes, paddling trips, bike rides, workshops and other activities. Registration is required at northcountrytrail.org/get-involved/special-events/conf/.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a bike fishing trip on the Yough River from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 3 in Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will bike between Ramcat and Ohiopyle and fish for trout and bass, learning about summer hatches along the way. Bike rentals are available, but are not included in the cost of $65 for members, $85 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0561.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold an orienteering workshop from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 27. Participants will learn the basics of topographical maps, orienting a compass, taking and following a bearing and completing an orienteering course. The program will start at a beginner's level and advance from there. Cost is $5 and compasses will be provided. Pre-registration is required by calling 724-899-3611.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Statewide hunters numbers following that of pheasants
- New tricks available for squirrel hunters
- Outdoors notices: Oct. 20, 2014
- Frye: Bright future for Yough River
- Fishing report: Fall bite sparks good fishing