Outdoors notices: July 14, 2013
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will lead a 4 1⁄2-mile hike over moderately hilly terrain to explore its western valleys from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Meet at the parking lot of the Camp Trail trailhead on Cabin Road. Call 724-899-3611.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a guided tree identification hike from 10 a.m. to noon July 27 at Todd Nature Reserve in Butler County. Participants will get to adopt a tree. Cost is $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will have a Celebrate the Bloom event to celebrate its prairie from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday. There will be prairie walks, workshops and demonstrations, food and vendors, entertainment, and more. Some events require preregistration. Call 724-794-6011.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will have a weekend-long workshop on edible wild plants Aug. 3-4. Participants will learn to identify summer edible plants, trees and poisonous plant, then forage and prepare meals, discuss nutritional values of wild plants, plant history and past usages as edibles. Cost is $45. Preregistration is by July 26 by calling 724-899-3611.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have an Outdoor Adventure program from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 8 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will start the day by making a birch walking stick, hike to a clearing, then make a whistle in the end of the stick, attach a lanyard to it and inlay a compass. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have a screech owl nest box building program from 2 to 4 p.m. July 28. Participants will build a box, then help place it in suitable habitat. Space is limited. Cost is $20. Call 724-357-7913.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a bike fishing trip on the Yough River from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 3 in Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will bike between Ramcat and Ohiopyle and fish for trout and bass, learning about summer hatches along the way. Bike rentals are available but are not included in the cost of $65 for members, $85 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0561.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will have an orienteering workshop from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jul7 27. Participants will learn the basics of topographical maps, orienting a compass, taking and following a bearing and completing an orienteering course. The program will start at a beginner's level and advance from there. Cost is $5 and compasses will be provided. Preregistration is required by calling 724-899-3611.