Outdoors notices: July 21, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a guided tree identification hike from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Todd Nature Reserve in Butler County. Participants will get to adopt a tree. Cost is $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will have an in-the-water program on how to do canoe-over-canoe rescues from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 10 at North Park in Allegheny County. Cost is $25 for members, $35 for nonmembers. Tandem canoes are provided, but if you bring your own tandem canoe, you get a discount. Call 412-255-0561.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will have a weekend-long workshop on edible wild plants Aug. 3 and 4. Participants will learn to identify summer edible plants, trees and poisonous plants, then forage and prepare meals, discuss nutritional values of wild plants, plant history and past usages as edibles. Cost is $45. Preregistration is by Friday by calling 724-899-3611.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have an Outdoor Adventure program from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 8 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will start the day by making a birch walking stick, hike to a clearing, then make a whistle, attach a lanyard to it and inlay a compass. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• The North Country Trail Association will have a Trailfest at Slippery Rock in Butler County from Aug. 12-17. There will be hikes, paddling trips, bike rides, workshops and other activities. Registration is required at northcountrytrail.org/get-involved/special-events/conf/
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will gave a screech owl nest box building program from 2 to 4 p.m. July 28. Participants will build a box, then help place it in suitable habitat. Space is limited. Cost is $20. Call 724-357-7913.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a bike fishing trip on the Yough River from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 3 in Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will bike between Ramcat and Ohipyle and fish for trout and bass, learning about summer hatches along the way. Bike rentals are available but are not included in the cost of $65 for members, $85 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0561.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will gave an orienteering workshop from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn the basics of topographical maps, orienting a compass, taking and following a bearing and completing an orienteering course. The program will start at a beginner's level and advance from there. Cost is $5, and compasses will be provided. Preregistration is required by calling 724-899-3611.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PETA offers underwater drones to target animal cruelty
- Allegheny County deer falls short of record status
- Frye: Possible record buck to get final score
- Penn State study revealing how deer react to hunters
- Survey says hunters like deer seasons as is
- Outdoors notices: Dec. 14, 2014
- Outdoor notices: Dec. 15, 2014
- Rain hampers bear, deer seasons; fishing interest increases