Fishing report: Catfish providing action on rivers, lakes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Anglers fishing Lake Somerset have been doing well on channel catfish, both during the day and at dusk. A few walleyes are being caught, but not up to past standards, according to the Fish and Boat Commission's Tom Qualters.
• Loyalhanna Creek was in good shape water-wise Thursday, but fishing pressure has been low overall. Some anglers have been picking up smallmouth bass and rock bass, however.
• On the Allegheny River, fishermen have been picking up sublegal walleyes on shiners near Freeport, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. One 40-pound flathead catfish was reportedly caught in the area recently, too. Closer to Pittsburgh, the river has been giving up channel catfish to those using stinkbaits.
• Fishing pressure at High Point Lake has been off a bit, but there have been reports of anglers taking smallmouth bass in excess of 20 inches there in recent weeks.
• At Virgin Run Dam, anglers have been taking small bass and bluegills on soft plastic baits and nightcrawlers and red worms.
• Anglers fishing the Monongahela River below the dam at Point Marion have been taking channel cats and lots of smallmouth bass, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Catfish have also been hitting on the river between the Mon Wharf and 18th Street access.
• Donegal Lake has been producing some largemouth bass for those using shiners and nightcrawlers. Bluegills have been hitting, too, along with the occasional crappie.
• The Ohio River has been giving up catfish, smallmouth bass and drum in the areas around Emsworth Dam and the Neville Island back channel, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• The Yough River between Smithton and Cedar Creek was slightly off color this week, but anglers were picking up some smallmouth bass. Top baits were soft plastics, nightcrawlers and fathead minnows.
• Anglers have been getting smallish bass, along with bluegills and catfish, at Upper and Lower Twin lakes.
• Channel catfish have been hitting at Canonsburg Lake, with stinkbaits and chicken livers the top-producing baits.
• Channel catfish in the 20-inch class have been hitting at Lake Arthur, with chicken livers accounting for many catches. Bass have been hitting, too, though the walleye bite has been slow.
Show commenting policy