Outdoors notices: July 28, 2013
• Venture Outdoors will have an in-the-water program on how to do canoe-over-canoe rescues from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 10 at North Park in Allegheny County. Cost is $25 for members, $35 for nonmembers. Tandem canoes are provided, but if you bring your own tandem canoe, you get a discount. Call 412-255-0561.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will gave a free family paddling program from 4 to 8 p.m. Aug. 11 at M.K. Goddard State Park in Mercer County. It's designed for families with children ages 8 and older who are new to paddling. Participants will learn about regulations, equipment and paddling safety skills during a brief on-shore lesson; the rest of the program will take place on the water in canoes and kayaks and involve practicing paddling strokes, self rescue and other safety skills. All boats and equipment will be provided. Space is limited, and preregistration is required by Aug. 9 at fishandboat.com; “calendar of events.”
• Ryerson Station State Park in Greene County will have a program on bats from 9 to 10 p.m. Aug. 2. Participants will learn about bats, then help count the animals for a research project. Call 724-428-4254.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will have its annual regatta from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Sunday. There will be family fishing events, canoe, kayak and sailboat races, music, fireworks and more. Admission is free, though donations will be accepted. Visit lakearthurregatta.org.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have an Outdoor Adventure program from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 8 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will start the day by making a birch walking stick, hike to a clearing, then make a whistle in the end of the stick, attach a lanyard to it and inlay a compass. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• The North Country Trail Association will have a Trailfest from Aug. 12-17 at Slippery Rock in Butler County. There will be hikes, paddling trips, bike rides, workshops and other activities. Registration is required at northcountrytrail.org/get-involved/special-events/conf/
• The Pennsylvania Game Commission will have a shorebird workshop rom 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 10 at Presque Isle State Park in Erie County. Participants will hear presentations related to piping plovers and shorebirds, then go on one of two field trips. The workshop is free, but space is limited to 25 people. Contact Stacy Wolbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-226-4348.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a bike fishing trip on the Yough River from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday in Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will bike between Ramcat and Ohiopyle and fish for trout and bass, learning about summer hatches along the way. Bike rentals are available but are not included in the cost of $65 for members, $85 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0561.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will have a free program on how to lighten your load for backpacking from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday. Participants will learn how to cut weight as well as skills related to choosing equipment, traveling at night, edible wild plants and more. Participants will also be eligible to take part in a backpack trip Aug. 17-18. Call 724-899-3611.