Fishing report: Yough River giving up smallmouth bass
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• The Yough River near Smithton is a little off color from the rain, but anglers were picking up smallmouth bass on minnows and nightcrawlers. A few trout were reported caught this week, both around Smithton and between Connellsville and Ohiopyle.
• On the Ohio River, anglers are picking up some flathead catfish, though none of especially large size, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Cutbait and nightcrawlers were reportedly taking the fish.
• The fishing at Lake Somerset is slow, with catfish anglers relegated to taking mostly bullheads at dusk.
• At Raccoon Lake, anglers are picking up some trout by fishing deep water with Powerbait, according to one report.
• Lake Arthur anglers able to battle heavy weeds are picking up largemouth bass and bluegills, but the fishing is slow overall.
• On the Beaver River, small to medium-sized hybrid stripers are hitting around the Townsend Dam, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Smallmouth bass are hitting tubes and shiners.
• Bradys Run Lake is giving up trout.
• At Yellow Creek Lake, anglers are picking up some smallmouth bass by focusing on deeper water. Small panfish are active, too.
• Anglers fishing Dunlap Creek Lake near the dam are getting trout after dark. Bluegills also are hitting.
• Glendale Lake anglers are getting northern pike and bass by fishing with shiners and nightcrawlers, respectively.
• At Lake Oneida, bass are hitting, with nightcrawlers and soft plastics accounting for most of the fish.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dove decoys help sport evolve
- Outdoors extra: Gear, tip and recipe of the week
- Outdoors notices: Aug. 31, 2014
- Outdoors notebook: Local college anglers advance to tournament
- Frye: List of elk draw winners
- Fishing report: Catfish hitting on Ohio River
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 1, 2014