Outdoor notices: Sunday, Aug. 18, 2013
• It takes eight shooters recording perfect individual scores of 25 for a team in the Twi-Night Trap League to record a perfect team score of 200. This past week, the team from Youngwood Sportsmen's Club — again — had nine perfect shooters.
It's no wonder, after 19 weeks, the team is comfortably in first place in the league standings, with 86 points. Ruffs Dale is in second, where it's been most of the year, now with 71 points. Hecla (54), Connellsville (48) and East Huntingdon (26) complete the top five.
Recording perfect scores this week were Ken Frye, Andy Baird, Brian Sirnic, Barry McClintock, Lou Sartoris, Don Bugajski, John Peairs, Jared Polansky and Boe Kerber from Youngwood; Chuck Buccieri and Jon Schroyer from Ruffs Dale; Justin Trayter from East Huntingdon; Pat Wingard Sr., David Newell and Kevin Kunkle from Hecla; and Barry Firestone, Jim Piovarchy Jr., Jim Nagy and Tom Kaylor from Connellsville.
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Apollo Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Level Green Fire Department, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Pine Run Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association, Washington County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 80.
• Chest Spring Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 30.
• Warsaw Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 7.
• Paris Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 7. Class limit 75.
• Logan's Ferry Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 7. Class limit 30.
• Rostraver Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 7. Class limit 35.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 7. Class limit 60.
• Logan's Ferry Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 8. Class limit 30.
• Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 14. Class limit 50.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 14. Class limit 65.
• Fairhope Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 14. Class limit 50.
• Hopewell VFW, Beaver County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 14. Class limit 75.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 14. Class limit 50.
• Brockway Sportsmen's Club, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 21.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 21. Class limit 50.
• Indian Creek Valley Sportsmen's Association, Fayette County, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 21. Class limit 50.
• Benshoff Hill Rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, at Middle Taylor Community Center, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 21. Class limit 20.
• Freeport Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 21. Class limit 40.
• Seminole Rod and Gun Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 21. Class limit 30.
• Richland Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 21. Class limit 50.
• Ambridge Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 5:30 to 8:45 p.m. Sept. 23-24. Class limit 40.
• Gilpin Rifles Inc., Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 28. Class limit 20.
• Apollo-Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 28. Class limit 50.
• Pine Run Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 28. Class limit 40.
• Jefferson County fairgrounds, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 27.
Cable restraint classes
Note: All cable restraint courses require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Imperial Volunteer Fire Co., Allegheny County, 8 a.m. to noon Aug. 31. Class limit 25.
• Penn's Woods West Chapter of Trout Unlimited will hold its annual Pine Creek stream improvement day from 8 a.m. to noon Aug. 31. Volunteers should report to the Hampton Township water pollution control plant at 2536 Toner Ave. Work will be from 8 a.m. to noon. Participants will get lunch and a chance at a graphite fly rod that will be raffled off. Bring boots and gloves; the event will be held rain or shine. Call Tom Walsh at 412-486-5356.
• The National Pike Branch of the Quality Deer Management Association will hold its third annual sportsmen's banquet at The Willow Room, 800 Plaza Drive, Belle Vernon, on Sept. 13. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 6:30 p.m. There will be live and silent auctions, raffles, games, prizes and more. Cost is $25 for those younger than 16 and $45 for adults. Sponsor and couples packages are available. Contact John Hustosky at 724-366-0095.
Shoots on tap
• The Covered Bridge Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society will host its seventh annual sporting clays shoot at Hunting Hills Sporting Clays Course, 181 Hunting Hills Road, Dilliner, on Saturday. Registration will be from 8 to 10 a.m., with warm-ups available between 8:30-9:45 a.m. The event starts at 10 a.m. Cost is $75 for the 100-target shoot and includes a steak dinner, door prizes and awards. A team package is also available. Golf carts will be available. Contact Larry Souleret at 412-264-4400, extension 215, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Laurel Region will hold a 101-target charity shoot Aug. 25 at West Penn Sportsmen's Club, 5730 Saltsburg Road, Murrysville. Registration is from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 10 a.m. Cost is $75 per person, which includes lunch, door prizes and raffles. Non-shooters can get lunch only. Sponsor packages are available, too. Call 724-863-3888.
• Frazier-Simplex Rifle Club, on Jefferson Avenue in Washington, will hold open PTO shooting matches Sept. 13-15, Oct. 11-13, Nov. 8-10 and Dec. 13-15. Cost is $10 per team, $15 for one gun and $25 for two guns. Shooting will be limited to 50 smallbore and 50 air rifle contestants. Contact Tom Benedict at email@example.com.
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold its annual 3-D archery appreciation shoot Sept. 8, with registration from 8 a.m. to noon at the clubhouse. Youths and cubs shoot free on this day. Call 724-539-9303.
• Trafford Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot Sunday, with registration from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $8 per shooter, though youths 12 and younger shoot for free. Call 412-372-3820 or visit traffordsportsmen.org.
• Sportsmen's Association of Greensburg will hold its Dave Demangone Memorial 2x500 slow prone match, with shooting at 300 and 500 yards, Sunday. Registration starts at 8 a.m., with shooting starting at 9 a.m. Cost is $15 for adults, $5 for juniors. Call 724-433-7639.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association holds action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month, pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays and silhouette shoots starting at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. A ladies pistol league shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association will hold a 3-D archery shoot Sept. 1, with registration from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for juniors ages 12 to 16. Youths 11 and younger shoot for free. The kitchen will be open. Call 724-887-5404. The club hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot Sept. 1, with registration from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. This will be the club's memorial hog roast. Adults eat and shoot for $15, while those younger than 16 eat and shoot for $10. One cub is admitted free with every paying adult. Non-shooters can eat for $5. Call 724-639-0360.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club will hold a rimfire money shoot and 12-gauge meat shoot starting at noon Sept. 15. There will be a flintlock money shoot and 12-gauge meat shoot at noon Oct. 6. The club's trap range is open Fridays at 7 p.m. for league and practice shooting. Cost is $4 per round and the public is welcome. Food and drinks are available for purchase. A bike run to benefit the trap and rifle range is being held July 27. Call 724-945-5275 or visit ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.