Outdoors notices: Aug. 25, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a guided nature hike through Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County from 9 to 10 a.m. Wednesday. It's free. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a bee hike starting at Frick Park and running through the suburbs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 7. Participants will hike three miles, then get a 90-minute workshop on beekeeping. Minimum age is 16. Cost is $8 for teens, $10 for members and $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold a guided six-mile canoe trip from Troutman Run to Gravel Lick starting at 8:30 a.m. Thursday. There will be some basic canoe safety rules discussed, followed by a paddle that will offer opportunities to see wildlife, scenery and more. Cost is $30 per boat, and space is limited. Pre-register by calling 814-744-8407.
• Venture Outdoors will hold a family outdoors festival at Allegheny Commons in Allegheny County from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Participants can kayak on Lake Elizabeth, climb a rock wall, go on a tyke hike, learn to use a GPS and more. It's all free. Call 412-255-0564.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a tour of its Civilian Conservation Corps camp from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Sept. 2. This year marks the 80th anniversary of the Corps' creation. There will be an indoor presentation followed by a short walking tour of a camp built in the 1930s. It's free. Call 724-899-3611.
• McConnells Mill State Park in Lawrence County will host a program on Dutch oven cooking from noon to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 15. Participants will see how to make breads and other meals in ovens, as was historically done using bread, iron and charcoal produced in the valley. The program is free. Call 724-368-3612.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold an “owl prowl” starting at 7 p.m. Oct. 4. Participants will meet at the Log Cabin Environmental Center for a short presentation that will be followed by opportunities to carpool to owl hotspots throughout the park. Bring a flashlight. Call 814-744-8407.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold a “night fishing on the Clarion River” program from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Sept. 13. Anglers should bring their fishing equipment, lanterns and bait to the park office to carpool to opportunities to catch brown trout, walleyes and catfish. Call 814-744-8407.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fishing report: Pymatuning walleye fishing remains tough
- Changes made to senior lifetime fishing licenses
- Young angler lands rare fish from Allegheny River
- Sportsmen’s groups defend lead ammo use
- Frye: Research projects study unique topics
- Fish and Boat Commissioners not settled on wild vs. stocked trout
- Outdoor notices: July 20, 2014
- Outdoors notebook: Elk visitor center deal reached
- Outdoor notices: July 21, 2014