Fishing report: Crooked creek anglers finding crappies
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Crooked Creek Lake in Armstrong County is giving up some crappies, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• Largemouth bass are hitting on nightcrawlers and rubber worms at Keystone State Park Lake. Smallish bluegills were reported.
• Bridgeport Dam is producing carp for those fishing with doughbaits and nightcrawlers. A few bass were reported, along with some small yellow perch.
• Lake Arthur anglers are getting crappie sand yellow perch by fishing around brush piles with fathead minnows. Bass are hitting toward evening for those using artificial.
• At Yough Dam, Belle Vernon's Jared Nelson caught a 36-inch northern pike and a 131⁄2-inch smallmouth bass on small shiners.
• Chicken livers and stinkbaits are catching some channel catfish at Lake Somerset.
• Anglers are reportedly picking up legal-sized walleyes on worm harnesses at Lake Wilhelm. Smallish bluegills are keeping anglers busy.
• The Yough River tailrace is being stocked with trout Friday.
• On the Allegheny River in Armstrong County, anglers are getting bass in the 12- to 16-inch range, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Channel cats also are active.
• Cross Creek Lake is giving up decent-sized panfish to those using small minnows under jigs or worms. Bass also are active.
• Deer Lakes are weedy and stagnant, with few fish being caught, according to one report.
• There is relatively little fishing pressure on Loyalhanna Creek. Those fishing it downstream of Sleepy Hollow are picking up a few smallmouth bass, along with some rock bass, however.
• Glendale Lake is giving up walleyes to those trolling and drifting.
• At Pymatuning Lake, anglers are taking smallmouth bass and large crappies by fishing humps with jigs and other artificial. Lots of channel cats were reported, too, but the walleye bite is slow.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fishing license fee decrease considered
- Outdoors notebook: Fall trout stocking program begins this week
- Studies detail buck behavior
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 28, 2014
- Fishing report: Low water limiting fishing in spots
- Frye: Bear attacks rare but increasing
- Dove hunters want proof of harm caused by lead before switching ammo
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 14, 2014
- Outdoor notices: Sept., 21, 2014