Outdoors notices: Sept. 1, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Venture Outdoors will lead a bee hike starting at Frick Park and running through the suburbs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Participants will hike three miles, then get a 1.5 hour workshop on beekeeping. Minimum age is 16. Cost is $8 for teens, $10 for members and $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County will hold an evening eco-paddle from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 13 to look at the park's flora and fauna. Registration is required by calling 814-352-8649.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will have a campout for paddlers from 7 p.m. Sept. 14 to 9 a.m. Sept. 15. Paddlers, who must have their own canoe or kayak and camping equipment, can paddle the lake, then sleep on the beach, complete with a campfire and stargazing. It's all free, but space is limited and preregistration is required. Call 724-899-3611.
• McConnells Mill State Park in Lawrence County will host a program on Dutch oven cooking from noon to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 15. Participants will see how to make breads and other meals in ovens, as was historically done using bread, iron and charcoal produced in the valley. The program is free. Call 724-368-3612.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will lead an outing to Sewickley Heights Borough Park to look for warblers, flycatchers, vireos and thrushes. Bring water and lunch. Contact Bob VanNewkirk at 412-366-1694 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold an Owl Prowl starting at 7 p.m. Oct. 4. Participants will meet at the Log Cabin Environmental Center for a short presentation that will be followed by opportunities to carpool to owl hot spots throughout the park. Bring a flashlight. Call 814-744-8407.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold a Night Fishing on the Clarion River program from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Sept. 13. Anglers should bring their fishing equipment, lanterns and bait to the park office to carpool to opportunities to catch brown trout, walleyes and catfish. Call 814-744-8407.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 22, 2014
- Collectors go crazy for Western Pennsylvania’s Case blades
- Outdoor notices: Sept., 21, 2014
- Frye: A few outdoor bits and pieces
- Fishing report: Slow fishing around region
- Outdoors notebook: Game Commission will publish 2 books
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 15, 2014