Fishing report: Steelhead runs just barely getting started
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Anglers have started to notice a few steelhead, mostly jacks, moving into Erie's tributary streams, with pods of fish in Walnut and Elk creeks especially. But by no means has the fall run really started, according to multiple reports.
• Trout are hitting in the outflow area of the Yough River.
• Further downstream, between Cedar Creek and Sutersville, anglers are picking up smallmouth bass, carp and catfish on assorted live baits. Tube jigs are also taking a few fish.
• The pressure is light and the fishing slow at Upper and Lower Twin lakes. Anglers are picking up some small largemouth bass and bluegills, mostly on nightcrawlers.
• Cross Creek Lake is producing some decent-sized panfish, including crappies, in recent days. The largemouth bite is OK, according to reports, with some of the better action coming later in the day.
• The fishing has been hit or miss at High Point Lake, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Pike, pickerel and largemouth bass is providing most of the action.
• At Keystone Lake in Armstrong County, the fishing is this week, according to reports. Yellow perch and bluegills are the most active.
• At Yough Dam, anglers are getting smallmouth bass, channel catfish and northern pike, but few walleyes, according to one Fish and Boat Commission report.
• The smallmouth bite on the Allegheny River is pretty good, according to multiple reports. Fishermen tossing tube jigs and topwater baits are doing best.
• Anglers battling the weeds are doing OK on bass at Dunlap Creek Lake. Soft plastic baits and nightcrawlers are taking fish.
• At Lake Arthur, fishing pressure is off a bit lately. Those going out are picking up some largemouth bass and, at dusk and after dark, channel catfish.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fishing license fee decrease considered
- Outdoors notebook: Fall trout stocking program begins this week
- Frye: Bear attacks rare but increasing
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 29, 2014
- Profits have illegal trafficking in fish, wildlife on the rise
- Studies detail buck behavior
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 14, 2014
- Game Commission to rework access permit idea
- Fishing report: Low water limiting fishing in spots
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 28, 2014