Fishing report: Fall trout has anglers out
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• The federal government shutdown is impacting fishing. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers lakes, including Loyalhanna, Shenango, Crooked Creek and others, are closed and their boat ramps are off limits.
• Anglers are picking up some trout in the delayed harvest section of Loyalhanna Creek, on both flies and spinners.
• Smallmouth bass are hitting on the Allegheny River. Shiners, tube baits, and topwater lures are taking fish. The occasional walleye was reported, along with fair numbers of catfish.
• At Donegal Lake, anglers are taking bluegills, a few crappies and largemouth bass. Nightcrawlers are the top bait.
• At Raccoon Lake in Beaver County, anglers were out in fair numbers chasing the trout stocked earlier this week. Some catches were reported on Powerbait, meal worms and red worms. A few bass are also being caught.
• Yellow Creek Lake is producing northern pike for those tossing crankbaits and fishing shiners under a bobber. Channel cats are hitting, too, along with bluegills.
• Dunlap Creek Lake in Fayette County was stocked Thursday. There's been no word on catches, however.
• At Lake Arthur, anglers are doing well on bass by fishing spinnerbaits and swimbaits. Panfish, from crappies and bluegills to yellow perch, are hitting on live bait.
• Steelhead are hitting on Walnut, Elk and Twenty Mile creeks at Erie, though all of the streams are low and clear. Single eggs, egg sacs and shiners were taking fish.
• On the Monongahela River, fishermen are picking up smallmouth bass, white bass and catfish. Most of the action is around the creek mouths.
• Canonsburg Lake in Washington County was stocked with rainbow trout earlier this week. Fishing pressure since is steady, but there's been no word yet on catches.
• Lake Somerset is giving up some channel catfish to anglers fishing near dusk with chicken livers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County deer falls short of record status
- PETA offers underwater drones to target animal cruelty
- Frye: Possible record buck to get final score
- Survey says hunters like deer seasons as is
- Penn State study revealing how deer react to hunters
- Rain hampers bear, deer seasons; fishing interest increases
- 21st century has become golden era for big game trophy bucks
- Study: Dragging dead deer hazardous to hunters’ health