Fishing report: Fall trout hitting on some lakes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Harbor Acres Lake in Butler County was stocked with brook and brown trout Thursday in what was a rescheduling. A few anglers turned out to fish, but there's been no word on catches.
• Anglers were doing well catching stocked trout at Raccoon Lake in Beaver County over the weekend. Anglers in boats were getting fish by trolling inline spinners, while shore anglers were getting fish on paste baits and maggots, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• In Erie, rain this past weekend brought some new steelhead into the tributary streams, but anglers were still reporting tough conditions. Fishermen were picking up some steelhead on Elk Creek, however. Fly anglers were said to be having some success on Twenty Mile Creek.
• Crappies are hitting in Presque Isle Bay for those able to find concentrations of the fish in deeper water.
• At Pymatuning Lake, anglers are getting yellow perch using minnows or nigthcrawlers fished on the bottom. Catfish have been hitting, too, as are the largemouth bass. The walleye action is slow.
• Tim Eckenrode caught a 51-inch flathead catfish while nightfishing on the Allegheny River near Kittanning.
• At Dunlap Creek Lake, anglers have been getting trout by fishing from boats, jigging over the sides with maggots and jigs.
• On the Ohio and Beaver rivers in Beaver county, anglers are catching flathead catfish by using bluegills and cut baits, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• Anglers fishing Lake Wilhelm have been picking up bass. The fishing is not overly fast-paced, according to reports, but the fish being caught are nice, with several over four pounds noted.
• At Yellow Creek Lake, anglers are doing well on panfish like bluegills and yellow perch. Bass have been hitting, too.
• Upper, Middle and Lower Deer lakes were all stocked with trout little more than a week ago and all have been getting some pressure. Word on catches has been sparse, however.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notebook: Local college anglers advance to tournament
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 1, 2014
- Outdoors extra: Gear, tip and recipe of the week
- Outdoors notices: Aug. 31, 2014
- Game Commission may adopt user permit for game lands
- ‘Unprecedented’ level of chronic wasting disease found on Reynoldsville farm
- Fishing report: Catfish hitting on Ohio River
- Dove decoys help sport evolve
- Frye: List of elk draw winners