Outdoors notices: Oct. 13, 2013
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Leetsdale Borough building, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 80.
• Apollo-Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Critchfield Alliance Church, Fayette County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 25.
• East Run Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• North Union Township Recreation Center, Fayette County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 20. Class limit 40.
• C&Y Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 26. Class limit 50.
• Jefferson County fairgrounds, Jefferson County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 27.
• Masontown Fire Hall, Fayette County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 3. Class limit 100.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 3. Class limit 50.
• Pennsylvania Game Commission southwest region office, Westmoreland County, 6-9:30 p.m. Nov. 4 and 6. Class limit 50.
• Concord United Methodist Church, Beaver County, 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 7-8. Class limit 150.
• Apollo-Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 9. Class limit 50.
• Paris Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 9. Class limit 75.
• Ross Township Recreation Center, Allegheny County, 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 9. Class limit 150.
• Gander Mountain, Cambria County, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 9. Class limit 25.
• Champion Christian School, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 9. Class limit 30.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 16. Class limit 50.
• Jefferson Fire Hall, Greene County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 16. Class limit 75.
• North Side Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 6-10 p.m. Nov. 18 and 20. Class limit 75.
• South Park Buffalo Inn, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 24. Class limit 100.
• Gander Mountain, Cambria County, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 30. Class limit 25.
• Possum Hollow Sportsman's Club, 352 Possum Hollow Road, Wampum, will hold a concealed weapons permit class from 6-10 p.m. on Wednesday. The class is $75. Participants will become eligible for nonresident permits for Utah and Arizona, which are recognized in most places in the country. Separate fees for the actual permits and for fingerprints can be paid later.
Shoots on tap
• Sigel Sportsmen's Club, 246 Sportsmen's Land, just off Route 949 north in Sigel, will hold several fall turkey shoots. They're set for Oct. 20 and 27 and Nov. 3. Registration starts at 1:30 p.m. Cost is $2 per shot. Bring your shotgun, but ammunition will be provided. Refreshments will be available.
• Frazier-Simplex Rifle Club, Jefferson Avenue, Washington, will hold open PTO shooting matches Nov. 8-10 and Dec. 13-15. Cost is $10 per team, $15 for one gun and $25 for two guns. Shooting will be limited to 50 smallbore and 50 air rifle contestants. Contact Tom Benedict at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association holds action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month, pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays and silhouette shoots starting at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. A ladies pistol league shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club's trap range is open Fridays at 7 p.m. for league and practice shooting. Cost is $4 per round and the public is welcome. Food and drinks are available for purchase. A bike run to benefit the trap and rifle range is being held July 27. Call 724-945-5275 or visit ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30 a.m.; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.