Outdoors notices: Oct. 21, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Venture Outdoors will lead an autumn color walk through South Park in Allegheny County from 1 to 4 p.m. Oct. 26. The hike will cover two to three miles and focus on the park's social and natural history. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will lead a free Halloween Night Hike from 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 27. There will be a short history of the folklore surrounding the holiday, followed by a walk to explore nocturnal animals and habitats. Call 724-794-6011.
• Forbes State Forest in Westmoreland County will host a free 5-mile hike along the Wolf Rocks and Wolf Rocks Loop trails that will take in a scenic view from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 2. Dress for the weather and bring water and snacks. Call 724-259-2201.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a naturalist-led owl prowl hike from 7 to 9 p.m. Nov. 4 at Succop Nature Reserve in Butler County. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a beginner's kayak paddle on Lake Arthur in Moraine State Park in Butler County from 9 to 11 a.m. Oct. 26. Equipment, guides and instruction is provided. Minimum age for participants is 12. Cost is $22 for members, $30 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• The Elk Country Visitors Center in Elk County will hold a program on elk antlers from 3 to 5 p.m. Oct. 25. It will focus on how they grow and why they drop off each year and more. Call 814-787-5167.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a nature photography hike through Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 3. Autumn Stankay of Skysight Photography will discuss how to take better pictures. Cost is $15 for members, $20 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold a program on white-tailed deer from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Nov. 7. Bring a spotlight and prepare to carpool to look for deer. Call 814-744-8407.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a program on how to attract more birds to your yard using native plants from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Each family will get a perennial plant for their own garden. Cost is $6 for members, 410 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Three Rivers Birding Club and Todd Bird Club will lead a joint outing to Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County to look for assorted bird species at 8 a.m. on Nov. 2. Meet at the park office. Call Margaret Higbee at 724-354-3493.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a program on how to build an emergency shelter in the woods from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 16 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will learn how to identify shelter areas and how to insulate yourself to stay alive if you have to spend a night in the woods. Cost is $6 for members, 410 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
Show commenting policy