Outdoor notices: Nov. 3, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Murrysville (2-0) and Butler (2-0) have taken the early lead in the Allegheny Valley Rifle League A-team standings, with Kiski (0-2) and Fort Hand (0-2) still winless. The standings are identical in the B-team standings.
In the A-team category, Murrysville is averaging a slightly higher weekly score than Butler, 1186 to 1166.5. Fort Hand and Kiski are averaging identical scores of 1153.5.
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Concord United Methodist Church, Beaver County, 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday-Friday. Class limit 150.
• Apollo-Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Paris Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 75.
• Ross Township Recreation Center, Allegheny County, 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 150.
• Gander Mountain, Cambria County, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 25.
• Champion Christian School, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 30.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 16. Class limit 50.
• Jefferson Fire Hall, Greene County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 16. Class limit 75.
• North Side Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 6 to 10 p.m. Nov. 18 and 20. Class limit 75.
• South Park Buffalo Inn, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 24. Class limit 100.
• Gander Mountain, Cambria County, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 30. Class limit 25.
• Hunters can enter a contest to win a pheasant hunt with the Pittsburgh Steelers' Brett Keisel. Entry forms for the 2013 “Brett Keisel's Outdoor Adventure” Sweepstakes are now available at Gander Mountain stores in western Pennsylvania. Winners will join Keisel and other Pittsburgh football stars for a fun day outdoors. Entries will be accepted through Sunday at stores in Erie, Greensburg, Johnstown, Moon Township, Washington and West Mifflin. The winner will be announced in early November, and along with a guest will get a half-day guided pheasant hunt with Keisel, a catered lunch and an autograph signing session with other Steeltown football stars.
• The Covered Bridge Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society will host its eighth annual fundraising banquet on Nov. 14 at the Bella Sera By Greco's, 414 Morganza Road, Canonsburg. A social hour starts at 5:15 p.m., with dinner to follow at 7:15 p.m. Individual tickets are $55; spouse and other packages are available. The evening will feature live and silent auctions, games, raffles and more. For ticketds or information, contact Lisa Rossi at 724-693-9032 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shoots on tap
• Strictly Stocks Traditional Archers will hold a 3-D archery shoot for recurves, longbows and selfbows on Nov. 17 at East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Club, 268 Sportsmen's Road, Alverton, with registration from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults 17 and older, $5 for those aged 12 to 16 and free to those 11 and younger. The kitchen will be open and there will be trading tables. Family participation is encouraged. Call 724-887-5404.
• Dunbar Sportsmen's Club will hold a ham and turkey shoot for shotguns and .22s at 1 p.m. Sunday at the clubhouse. Refreshments will be available and everyone is welcome.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Sigel Sportsmen's Club, 246 Sportsmen's Land, off Route 949 north in Sigel, will hold a fall turkey shoot Sunday, with registration beginning 1:30 p.m. Cost is $2 per shot. Bring your shotgun, but ammunition will be provided. Refreshments will be available.
• Frazier-Simplex Rifle Club, Jefferson Avenue, Washington, will hold open PTO shooting matches Nov. 8 to 10 and Dec. 13 to 15. Cost is $10 per team, $15 for one gun and $25 for two guns. Shooting will be limited to 50 smallbore and 50 air rifle contestants. Contact Tom Benedict at email@example.com.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association holds action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month, pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays and silhouette shoots starting at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. A ladies pistol league shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club's trap range is open Fridays at 7 p.m. for league and practice shooting. Cost is $4 per round and the public is welcome. Food and drinks are available for purchase. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30 a.m.; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.
Show commenting policy