Fishing report: Trout, steelhead, bass hitting in spots
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• The fishing is very slow at Lake Somerset, with few anglers out and fewer reports of catches.
• At High Point Lake, anglers are taking the occasional walleye, along with some northern pike, bass and panfish.
• Anglers are catching trout at Raccoon Lake, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report from Beaver County. Word is that most of the trout are being caught off the dam, but a few nice sized trout were caught near the beach, too, with paste baits and minnows taking fish.
• The fishing is decidedly slower at Brady's Run Lake.
• Fishermen continue to do well on brown trout at Lower Twin Lake, though fishing pressure is down as of late with colder weather. Panfish also are providing some action.
• Yellow perch are hitting at Presque Isle Bay. The fish are running 10 to 14 inches and are hitting on minnows.
• Lake Erie's tributary streams were up a bit mid-week after some rain, but the streams were said to fishable, with steelhead hitting on big and bright egg sacs and skein. The Prince Nymph is hitting for fly anglers.
• The upper end of Laurel Hill Lake is giving up trout in recent days, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• Loyalhanna Creek isn't getting a lot of fishing pressure, but those spending time in the delayed harvest section are getting trout.
• Large shiners, soft plastic baits and jerkbaits aren taking walleyes, bass and hybrid stripers on the Beaver River near Townsend Dam.
• At Yellow Creek Lake, anglers are using shiners and crankbaits to take bass and northern pike. Small tube jigs and live bait are taking panfish.
• Trophy-sized bass are coming out of Quemahoning Reservoir recently, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• The Allegheny River is running high and fast, leading to slow fishing. Anglers are taking some smallmouth bass on minnows and tube jigs.
• At Acme Dam, anglers are getting some decent-sized bluegills, along with a few bass. Live baits are the most consistent producer.
• At Pymatuning Lake, yellow perch, many between 10 and 13 inches, were reported caught on nightcrawlers fished on the bottom. Walleyes are hitting on the southern end of the lake.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County deer falls short of record status
- PETA offers underwater drones to target animal cruelty
- Survey says hunters like deer seasons as is