Outdoor notices: Nov. 10, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Murrysville (3-0) is in sole possession of first place in the Allegheny Valley Rifle League A-team standings, having beaten Butler (2-1), 1185-1164, last week. Kiski (1-2) edged Fort Hand (0-3) on a tiebreaker. The standings are identical in the B-team standings. Three shooters fired 297s to record the week's high score: Matt Summerhill of Fort Hand, Ray Harvey of Murrysville and junior shooter Matthew Lovre of Murrysville. Bob Doverspike of Butler was the week's top senior, shooting a 194, while Sue Walters of Murrysville was the top-scoring female with a 280.
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Jefferson Fire Hall, Greene County, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 75.
• North Side Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 6 to 10 p.m. Nov. 18 and 20. Class limit 75.
• South Park Buffalo Inn, Allegheny County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 24. Class limit 100.
• Gander Mountain, Cambria County, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 30. Class limit 25.
• The Covered Bridge Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society will host its eighth annual fundraising banquet Thursday at the Bella Sera By Greco's, 414 Morganza Road, Canonsburg. A social hour starts at 5:15 p.m., with dinner to follow at 7:15 p.m. Individual tickets are $55; spouse and other packages are available. The evening will feature live and silent auctions, games, raffles and more. For tickets or information, contact Lisa Rossi at 724-693-9032 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shoots on tap
• Strictly Stocks Traditional Archers will hold a 3-D archery shoot for recurves, longbows and selfbows Nov. 17 at East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Club, 268 Sportsmen's Road, Alverton. Registration is from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults 17 and older, $5 for ages 12 to 16 and free for 11 and younger. The kitchen will be open and there will be trading tables. Family participation is encouraged. Call 724-887-5404.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for ages 12 to 16, and free for 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Frazier-Simplex Rifle Club on Jefferson Avenue, Washington, will hold open PTO shooting matches Sunday and Dec. 13 to 15. Cost is $10 per team, $15 for one gun and $25 for two guns. Shooting will be limited to 50 smallbore and 50 air rifle contestants. Contact Tom Benedict at email@example.com.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association holds action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month, pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays and silhouette shoots starting at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. A ladies pistol league shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club's trap range is open Fridays at 7 p.m. for league and practice shooting. Cost is $4 per round and the public is welcome. Food and drinks are available for purchase. Call 724-945-5275 or visit ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.