Outdoors notices: Nov. 11, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Venture Outdoors will lead a night hike through Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County from 7 to 10 p.m. Nov. 16. The 4-mile walk will include some lakeside views, steady climbs and stream crossings. Cost is $8 for members, $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a challenging hike through McConnells Mill State Park in Lawrence County from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 23. The eight-mile hike will cover some rugged terrain but lead to wonderful scenery. Cost is $10 for members, $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-064.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a trip to lake Somerset in Somerset County on Nov. 16 to look for waterfowl and hike the new trail built by the Somerset County Conservancy. Meet at the first parking lot at Donegal Lake at 9:30 a.m. to carpool.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will host a leaderless outing to Moraine State Park in Butler County on Nov. 17. Meet at 8 a.m. in the first major parking lot in the south shore day use area. Participants will look for waterfowl and late-season migrants.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a Project Feederwatch training session on Nov. 26 at Fern Hollow Nature Center in Allegheny County. Participants will learn how to get involved in a program whereby backyard birders record the species that come to their feeders over winter, then turn the information in to scientists. The event is free. Call 412-963-6100.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a program on how to build an emergency shelter in the woods from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 16 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will learn how to identify shelter areas and how to insulate yourself to stay alive if you have to spend a night in the woods. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notebook: Hunters Sharing the Harvest has big year
- Allegheny County lakes draw big crowds on picturesque opening day
- The when, where and how of Pennsylvania’s elusive ‘trout slam’
- Reynoldsdale hatchery getting $6.5 million makeover
- Outdoors notebook: Another championship for Cal U archer Bradley
- Frye: Figuring out deer dilemma
- Perfect weather brings out A-K Valley crowds for opening day of trout season
- Weather, fish combine for memorable opening day of trout season