Outdoors notices: Nov. 18, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Venture Outdoors will lead a challenging hike through McConnells Mill State Park in Lawrence County from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. The eight-mile hike will cover some rugged terrain but lead to wonderful scenery. Cost is $10 for members, $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-064.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will host a naturalist-led hike through Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County from 9 to 10 a.m. Nov. 27. There's no cost, but preregistration is required by calling 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will have a holiday pie hike in Settlers Cabin park in Allegheny County from 1 to 4 p.m. Nov. 29. Hikers will cover four to five miles, then get to eat apple, pumpkin and pear-cranberry pie. Cost is $8 for kids, $12 for member and $16 for nonmembers. Preregistration is required by Nov. 27. Call 412-255-0564.
• REI SouthSide Works will have a free cross country ski workshop from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 10. Instructors will focus on gear and techniques and describe some good local ski locations. Call 412-255-0564.
• REI SouthSide Works will have a free snowshoeing workshop from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 18. Instructors will focus on gear and techniques and describe some good local snowshoeing locations. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a Project Feederwatch training session Tuesday at Fern Hollow Nature Center in Allegheny County. Participants will learn how to get involved in a program whereby backyard birders record the species that come to their feeders over winter, then turn the information in to scientists. The event is free. Call 412-963-6100.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will hold a Christmas Bird Count training session at 10 a.m. Dec. 7 at Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County. Participants will meet at the Stone Lodge and listen to a presentation on who and why the project is done, wander the park for an hour doing a mock count, then return to the lodge and examine results. Register on the club's Facebook page.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County buck could prove to be state’s largest ever taken
- Outdoors notebook: New license plates, changes to youth trout program coming in 2015
- Outdoors notices: Nov. 24, 2014
- Frye: State bears are record-worthy
- Outdoors notices: Nov. 17, 2014
- Pa. bear hunters off to good start