Outdoors notices: Dec. 22
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will lead a free “first day” hike at 1 p.m. Jan. 1. The two-mile guided walk along Oakwoods Trail will pass through various habitats, including the prairie, forest and a beaver meadow wetland.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will hold a free guided “first day hike” from 2 to 4 p.m. Jan. 1. Meet at the Meadow Run Slides parking lot. Pre-register by calling 724-329-0986 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will lead a free “winter trails day” hike from 1 to 3 p.m. Jan. 11. The 2.2-mile walk around the lake — which will be conducted in snowshoes if there's sufficient snow — will be followed by coffee enjoyed in the nature center. Register by calling 724-668-2566 or emailing email@example.com.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a “mountain pie ramble” hike through Riverview Park in Allegheny County from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 12. Hikers will take a walk at a leisurely, family-friendly pace, then gather in a shelter and make mountain pies over an open fire. Cost is $5 for members and kids, $8 for others. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors and REI Settlers Ridge in Allegheny County will host a free cross country ski workshop from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 8 at the store. Instructors will go over equipment, places to ski based on skill level, and techniques. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will host a program on animal signs and tracks from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 12 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100. • Moraine State Park in Butler County will hold its annual free Winterfest from noon to 5 p.m. Jan. 18, with activities centered around the McDanels Launch on the lake's north shore. There will be ice fishing demonstrations, owl and raptor programs, a family birding hike, snowshoe workshop, chainsaw carving, ice sculpting, family activities, a chili cookoff, live music and more. Call 724-368-3612 for details and a schedule.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors extra: Gear, tip and recipe of the week
- Dove decoys help sport evolve
- Outdoors notebook: Local college anglers advance to tournament
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 1, 2014
- Frye: List of elk draw winners