Outdoors notices: Jan. 5
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will lead a Winter Trails Day hike from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. The 2.2-mile walk around the lake — which will be conducted in snowshoes if there's sufficient snow — will be followed by coffee enjoyed in the nature center. Register by calling 724-668-2566 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a Mountain Pie Ramble hike through Riverview Park in Allegheny County from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. Hikers will take a walk at a leisurely, family-friendly pace, then gather in a shelter and make mountain pies over an open fire. Cost is $5 for members and kids, and $8 for others. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a guided winter tree identification hike through Frick Park in Allegheny County from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 26. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a naturalist-led morning hike at Succpo Nature Reserve in Butler County from 9 to 10 a.m. Jan. 30. The hike is free. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors and REI Settlers Ridge in Allegheny County will have a free cross country ski workshop from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at the store. Instructors will go over equipment, places to ski based on skill level and techniques. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a program on animal signs and tracks from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Sunday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will have a free Winterfest from noon to 5 p.m. Jan. 18, with activities centered around the McDanels Launch on the lake's north shore. There will be ice fishing demonstrations, owl and raptor programs, a family birding hike, snowshoe workshop, chainsaw carving, ice sculpting, family activities, a chili cookoff, live music and more. Call 724-368-3612 for details and a schedule.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will have a prairie improvement day from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 18. Volunteers 12 and older are being sought to do maintenance work on the park prairie habitat. Those who turn out will get soup from local restaurants in a commemorative mug. Bring gloves and dress for the weather. Pre-registration is required by calling 724-794-6011.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a Project FrogWatch training session at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County from 7 to 9 p.m. Jan. 21. Participants will learn to count frog calls at ponds and report that to for a national citizen science project. Register by calling 412-963-6100.