Outdoors notices: March 23
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a Meet the Conifers walk at Succop Nature reserve in Butler County from 1 to 2:30 p.m. April 6. Participants will learn some tree identification tips, the trees' role in habitat and interesting human uses. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will gave a two- to three-mile wildflower walk through Duff Park in Murrysville from 9 a.m. to noon April 6. Hikers will learn about the park's natural history while looking for early spring flowers. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will have a volunteer trail day from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 5. Meet at 9 a.m. at the park office and wear appropriate clothing. Bring a lunch, too. Call 724-329-0986.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a program on how to choose the right optics for bird watching and wildlife viewing from 10 a.m. to noon on April 5 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Meet at the nature store. Call 412-963-6100.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have a bird walk from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Meet at the park office and plan to drive to five locations from which short hikes will follow. Call 724-357-7913.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will have a Mudsnipe Hunt to look for American woodcock from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Participants will meet at the park office, carpool to a field and hike to a location where woodcock do their “sky dance.” Wear boots and bring a flashlight, water and binoculars. Preregistration is required by calling 724-668-2566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Venture Outdoors will have an program on European style nymphing for trout from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn about the flies, retrieves, leaders, gear and techniques needed to catch more fish. Fly fishing experience is required. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will have an introduction to fly fishing program from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 5 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will learn the basics of rods, reels, line, leaders, knots and more, then spend time fishing on the Yough River. No equipment is needed. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy