Outdoors notices: March 23
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a Meet the Conifers walk at Succop Nature reserve in Butler County from 1 to 2:30 p.m. April 6. Participants will learn some tree identification tips, the trees' role in habitat and interesting human uses. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will gave a two- to three-mile wildflower walk through Duff Park in Murrysville from 9 a.m. to noon April 6. Hikers will learn about the park's natural history while looking for early spring flowers. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will have a volunteer trail day from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 5. Meet at 9 a.m. at the park office and wear appropriate clothing. Bring a lunch, too. Call 724-329-0986.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a program on how to choose the right optics for bird watching and wildlife viewing from 10 a.m. to noon on April 5 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Meet at the nature store. Call 412-963-6100.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have a bird walk from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Meet at the park office and plan to drive to five locations from which short hikes will follow. Call 724-357-7913.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will have a Mudsnipe Hunt to look for American woodcock from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Participants will meet at the park office, carpool to a field and hike to a location where woodcock do their “sky dance.” Wear boots and bring a flashlight, water and binoculars. Preregistration is required by calling 724-668-2566 or email email@example.com.
• Venture Outdoors will have an program on European style nymphing for trout from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn about the flies, retrieves, leaders, gear and techniques needed to catch more fish. Fly fishing experience is required. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will have an introduction to fly fishing program from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 5 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will learn the basics of rods, reels, line, leaders, knots and more, then spend time fishing on the Yough River. No equipment is needed. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Economy angler lands ‘bodacious’ Pymatuning fish
- Frye: Fawn study is only what it is
- Catfish studies aim to provide sustainable fisheries, improve stocking
- Outdoors notebook: Sporting retailers welcoming more women customers
- Outdoors notices: Aug. 3, 2015
- Fishing report: Fishing picking up with better weather