Outdoor notices: May 5
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County is holding a 90-minute wildflower walk at 2 p.m. May 11. Park staff will discuss the unique history, uses and folklore of the season's first blooms. Call 724-794-6011.
• Forbes State Forest in Westmoreland County will hold a Mother's Day wildflower walk at 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Meet at the parking lot off Linn Run Road, just past the Linn Run State park office. Wear sturdy shoes and be prepared to walk one mile. Contact Rachael Christie at email@example.com or 724-259-2201.
• Forbes State Forest in Westmoreland County is holding a series of “rustic runs,” which are four- to five-mile trail runs through the forest, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on May 21, June 18, July 23, Aug. 27, Sept. 17 and Oct. 15. All skill levels are welcome. Meet at the warming hut on Laurel Summit Road.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating class from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday at Conneaut Lake Sportsmen's Club in Crawford County. There is no charge for the course, but preregistration is required by contacting Chad Foster at 814-683-5126 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Organizers of the Laurel Highlands Trout Trail will hold a “Fly fishing forum for females only” starting at 10 a.m. on May 17 at the Lincoln Highway Experience, 3534 Route 30, Latrobe, Westmoreland County. For beginner and experienced fisherwomen, the event will begin with coffee, pastries and juice, a display of women's fishing fashions, and a program on “all you need to know about fly fishing.” Afterward, participants will drive to a nearby stream for some hands-on fishing and instruction. Cost is $30 and includes use of equipment. Space is limited and preregistration is required by calling 724-879-4241.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Experts call for deer hunters to step up game
- Coyotes proliferate despite year-round hunting
- Frye: County’s sport, travel and outdoors show lacked crowds
- Musky program achieves new standards
- Outdoor notices: Feb. 15, 2015
- Outdoors notices: Feb. 22, 2015
- Outdoors notebook: Study of stocked pheasants set for fall
- Most cities likely to host coyote populations