Fishing report: Anglers picking up trout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Anglers fishing Loyalhanna Creek at the Sleepy Hollow spillway were picking up trout this past week on meal worms, wax worms and minnows. Those downstream of Kingston Dam were getting rock bass and the occasional smallmouth.
• An angler fishing at Lake Somerset recently caught a 40-inch musky, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• On the Ohio River, high, fast water led to tough fishing, with a few smallmouth bass caught but not much else.
• At Lake Arthur, anglers fishing the warming shallows reportedly are doing well on hybrid striped bass and crappies. Fish and Boat Commission crews surveying the lake also are seeing a lot of nice walleyes and catfish, according to a report.
• Linn Run is pretty low, but anglers are taking a few brook trout from the small stream using minnows for bait.
• The crappie bite is picking up at Glendale Lake in Prince Gallitzin State Park.
• A few more crappies were caught at Pymatuning Lake compared to past weeks, according to multiple reports. A few walleyes were caught as well.
• The North Branch of Blacklick Creek recently gave up a 19.5-inch, 3-pound golden rainbow trout to James McAfee of Johnstown, according to a Fish and Boat Commisison report. Quemahoning Reservoir produced a 28.5-inch brown trout for an angler fishing with a minnow.
• Anglers fishing Upper Twin Lake are picking up trout on Powerbait and live baits. Bluegills are active, too, while the crappie fishing is starting to improve, according to one report.
• On Ten Mile Creek, anglers are catching fish after the most recent stocking, using bright spinners, live minnows, and paste baits with a light split shot to submerge them, according to a commission report.
• White bass are being hit on the Monongahela near Pigeon Creek. The walleye action is sporadic.
• At Lake Oneida, anglers are catching crappies. Few big fish have been seen, however.
• Shenango Dam anglers are getting some crappies, according to reports, but the long winter seems to have the spawn running late.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notices: Sept. 1, 2014
- Dove decoys help sport evolve
- Outdoors notebook: Local college anglers advance to tournament
- Frye: List of elk draw winners
- Outdoors notices: Aug. 31, 2014
- Outdoors extra: Gear, tip and recipe of the week
- Fishing report: Catfish hitting on Ohio River