Outdoors notices: June 16, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will hold a solstice night hike from 9 to 11 p.m. on June 21. This naturalist-led walk will explore how nocturnal animals use the night. Call 724-329-0986.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a “Helldiver Exploration” hike on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on June 22. Hikers will walk 12 miles, some of it off trail, to look for find the scene of a 1945 Helldiver crash in the area. Cost is $8 for members, $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Cook Forest State park in Clarion County will host a canoe fishing event on the national wild and scenic Clarion River, between Cooksburg and Gravel Lick, starting at 9 a.m. on June 21. This is a three-mile guided interpretive program. Cost is $25 per boat. Participants should bring their own fishing gear, bait, lunch and water. Call 814-744-8407.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will host a canoe trip on the Clarion River, from Portland Mills to Arroyo Bridge, starting at 8:30 a.m. June 28. For experienced paddlers, the trip- will pass evidence of the old log booms and mills at Portland Mills as well as bridge remnants of the Clarion River Railway. Bald eagles and osprey are often spotted, too. Pack a change of clothes, water, protective footgear and fishing gear. Space is limited and preregistration is required. Cost is $50 per boat. Call 814-744-8407.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will hold a full moon paddle from 7:30 to 10 p.m. on July 12 at the lake. You can bring your own canoe or kayak or rent one from the park. Cost is $5 and space is limited, so preregister by calling 724-357-7913.
• Forbes State Forest in Westmoreland County will hold a program on geocaching at 6 p.m. on June 20. Meet at the Camp Run parking lot to shuttle to a nearby location to hunt for geocaches. This program is for beginning geocachers of all ages. Contact Rachel Christie at 724-259-2201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Venture Outdoors will celebrate the National Wildlife Federation's Great American Backyard Campout with an overnighter at Moraine State Park in Butler County. From noon June 28 to noon June 29, participants will lead family activities, cook over a campfire, and spend the night under the stars. You must bring your own camping gear. Cost is $10 for kids, $15 for members and $20 for others. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will host a program on fly fishing wet flies and streamers from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 21 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will go over gear and tactics, including traditional techniques and new ones, including hybrid wet flies, then fish. Some experience is necessary. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Game commission, public debate user feee
- Profits have illegal trafficking in fish, wildlife on the rise
- Collectors go crazy for Western Pennsylvania’s Case blades
- Outdoor notices: Sept., 21, 2014
- Outdoors notebook: Pheasant Farm, game lands tours set