Outdoors notices: July 13, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• The shooters from Youngwood Sportsmen's Association recorded the first perfect team score of 200 in this past week's Twi-Night Trap League shoot. Twenty-three of the 161 shooters on hand recorded perfect individual scores. Connellsville shot 196 as a team, with East Huntingdon, Ruffsdale and Hecla all right behind with matching 194s. On the season, Youngwood is in first place with 69 points, while Connellsville is in second with 56. Hecla is in third with 44.5, Ruffsdale in fourth with 37 and East Huntingdon fifth with 33.5. The next shoot will be Thursday at Connellsville Sportsmen's Club.
Hunter safety courses
• All hunter safety courses require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Bull Creek Rod and Gun Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Greensburg Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 25.
• Canonsburg Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 60.
• Charleroi Gun Club, Washington County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. July 20. Class limit 40.
• Herminie No. 2 Game Association, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. July 26. Class limit 25.
• Springdale District Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. July 26. Class limit 45.
• Police Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 2. Class limit 80.
• Ford City Sportsmen's Association, Armstrong County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 9. Class limit 25.
• St. John Burry Church, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 9. Class limit 60.
• McKeesport Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 16. Class limit 50.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Association, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Aug. 16. Class limit 40.
• Apollo Spring Church Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 23. Class limit 50.
• Logan's Ferry Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Aug. 23. Class limit 50.
• Canonsburg Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Aug. 23. Class limit 32.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 23. Class limit 50.
• Pine Run Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 23. Class limit 40.
• Logan's Ferry Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Aug. 24. Class limit 50.
Independent hunter safety courses
• All independent hunter safety courses require eight to 10 hours of advance study and preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 6-9 p.m. Tuesday. Class limit 45.
Successful bowhunter classes
• All successful bowhunter classes require preregistration at pgc.state.pa.us.
• Coraopolis District Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. July 27. Class limit 30.
• Police Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 3. Class limit 30.
• Westmoreland County Parks and Recreation and the Pennsylvania Game Commission will hold a youth field day from 8 a.m.-4p.m. on July 26 at Mammoth Park. Boys and girls ages 8-16 can try archery, boating, muzzle loading, fishing and more. There will be stations featuring Civil War re-enactors, forest and wildfire fighters, animal identification, boating safety, too, along with a free lunch for all participants. The event is free, but preregistration is required by visiting www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/parks or calling 724-830-3950.
• International Angler, at 5275 Steubenville Pike in Pittsburgh, will hold a free introduction to fly fishing program at 10 a.m. on July 26. All ages are welcome, though children younger than 16 should be accompanied by an adult. Space is limited, so preregistration is required by calling 412-788-8088.
Shoots on tap
• Rochester Sportsmen's Club, 181 Sportsmen Lane, Rochester, will have a 3D archery shoot July 27 with registration from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Contact: Ed Scherer at 724-776-5184. The club also will have a sporting clays shoot July 26 with registration from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Contact Jerry Hooks at 724-601-6964. Visit rochestersportsmenclub.com.
• Shaner Sportsmen's Club, 146 Stewart Lane, Irwin, will hold a lady's day shoot from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. There will be pistol, rifle, muzzleloader and shotgun shooting. A continental breakfast and coffee will be provided. Call Chris at 724-872-8431 to preregister. The club also has trap practice from 5-8 p.m. Fridays. It is open to the public. Call 724-872-8431 or the clubhouse at 724-446-1313.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will have a 3-D archery shoot Aug. 3 with registration from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for those youths. Cubs shoot for free. There will be awards in all classes, and food and refreshments will be available. Call 724-639-0360.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club has CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for children ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association has action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month, pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays and silhouette shoots starting at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. A ladies pistol league shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association will have a 3D archery shoot on Aug. 3 with registration from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for juniors ages 12-16 and free to children 11 and younger. The kitchen will be open. The club also has trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is has an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, has trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. Contact: call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club has trap shooting at 5 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public starting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-652-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club has NSCA registered shoots Sundays with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning has open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club has trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club has trap and skeet practice from 5-8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association has big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro has trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift has an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also has an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club has outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays. There's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 on Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association has five-stand sporting clays shoots from 4 p.m. until dark Wednesdays at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association has trap shoots 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville has five-stand shoots 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club has 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6. Both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association has trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club has skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5 -10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice are 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Civil War vet gets 21-gun salute
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- Some of the WPIAL’s top teams leaning toward two-back ground game
- Greensburg man charged with terroristic threats
- PennDOT considers I-70 options for Yukon, Madison ramps
- County police officer on leave after assault charges filed
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- Apollo’s Flick becomes 3rd-generation Sprint Car champion