Outdoor notices: July 14, 2014
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County will host a prairie walk from 7-8:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Visitors will learn about how the prairie came to be and the wildflowers and endangered species that grow there. The program is free. Call 724-794-6011.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a summer tree identification hike through Dead Man's Hollow from 9-11 a.m. on Saturday. Local ecologists will lead the hike over moderate terrain and provide handouts. Cost is $5 for kids, $6 for members and $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a free stream hike through Todd Sanctuary in Butler County at 2 p.m. on July 27. Participants will explore some of the reserve's watery habitats. Call 412-963-6100.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a frog and toad night hike from 8 to 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 2. There will be a short indoor presentation followed by a hike to listen for frog and toad calls. Bring bug spray and a flashlight. Preregistration is required. Call 724-899-3611.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will host a “Kayak Keystone” paddling event from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday. It will focus on basic kayak instruction, conservation tips and paddling on the lake. Bring your own boat or rent one. Preregistration is required by calling 724-668-2566.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold an evening nature paddle on the park's main lake from 6:30-8 p.m. on July 22. Bring your own boat or rent one from the park concessionaire. Meet at the boat launch at 6:15 p.m. for a guided trip to examine the lake's shoreline and wetlands. Call 724-899-3611.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will hold a free blue heron and kingfisher kayak paddle on the lake starting at 9 a.m. on July 27. Bring your own kayak or borrow one of the park's to explore Lake Arthur and look for some of its more interesting bird species. Call 724-368-3612.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will hold free family fishing programs at 1 p.m. on July 26 and Aug. 9. Participants will learn how to rig a fishing rod, types of bait, knot tying, rules and regulations, casting practice, hands-on fishing and more. Participants are not required to have a fishing license and all equipment will be provided. Participants must bring a child. Preregistration is required by calling 724-368-3612.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center and Moraine State Park in Butler County will lead a beginner's backpack trip along the North Country Trail from 9 a.m. Aug. 23 to 3 p.m. Aug. 24. The program will begin at Jennings with the basics if planning and preparing for a trip. The hike will follow and include tips on navigation and selecting gear, backcountry cooking, water filtration and purification, and more. Participants must be 16 and older and will overnight in a trailside shelter. Space is limited and preregistration is required by contacting Jennings at 724-7984-6011 or email@example.com.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a free “basics in map and compass” program from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on July 26. Participants will learn the basics of reading topographical maps, orienting a compass, taking and following a bearing, and successfully completing an orienteering course. The program will start at beginning level, then advance to land navigation over varied terrain. Preregistration is required by Friday at apps.dcnr.state.pa.us/Calendar.