Bass, bluegills, catfish keep anglers busy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Bridgeport Dam has been giving up smallish yellow perch, along with largemouth bass. Nightcrawlers have been the top bait.
• Loyalhanna Creek is in good shape but fishing pressure has been light.
• Anglers have been catching nice-sized trout on the Youghiogheny River near the outflow from the dam, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Brittany Kozak of Smithfield caught a 22-inch, 4-pound brown trout on a rubber worm.
• Pittsburgher Noah Heck won a Kayak Anglers of Western Pennsylvania fishing tournament on Lake Arthurs this past weekend, tossing spinnerbaits and buzzbaits to get largemouth and smallmouth bass.
• On Yough Lake itself, fishermen have been picking up smallmouth bass.
• Greenlick Lake has been getting steady fishing pressure, with anglers taking a few walleyes along with some channel catfish. Bluegills have been hitting, too, though none of any size.
• At Somerset Lake, anglers fishing with nightcrawlers have been getting some bass, with one angler reporting a 20-incher. A few crappies have been hitting, along with channel catfish, too.
• Brent Ross was fishing Upper twin lake in Greensburg with his 3-year-old son Brody when they hooked a large carp. They landed it after a 20-minute fight using Brody's 3-foot-long Zebco rod and reel combo.
• Fishermen tossing crankbaits and jerkbaits have been picking up smallmouth bass on the Allegheny River. The catfish action has been slow, however.
• At Cross Creek Lake, fishermen have been getting nice-sized bluegills on red worms and nightcrawlers. Bass have been hitting jigs and shiners.
• Anglers report a number of nice trout caught this past weekend on Wills Creek, including a 17-inch golden rainbow, according to the Fish and Boat Commission.
• High Point Lake has been giving up bass, bluegills and catfish. Bass, Bluegill, and catfish have been the main catch lately at High Point Lake.
• Families have been hitting Acme Dam on most recent evenings, with bluegills and bullhead catfish providing most of the action.
• Anglers have been doing well with largemouth and smallmouth bass at the Quemahoning Reservoir. A few bullhead catfish are being caught at night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notices: Oct. 5, 2015
- Game Commission to direct hunters to deer
- Frye: Big trout and hunting issues
- Fishing report: Cooler weather prompts better fishing
- Fish and Boat Commission sells part of Hereford Manor
- Outdoors notices: Oct. 4, 2015
- Fishing report: Angling slow, but stocked trout on the way