Bass, bluegills, catfish keep anglers busy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Bridgeport Dam has been giving up smallish yellow perch, along with largemouth bass. Nightcrawlers have been the top bait.
• Loyalhanna Creek is in good shape but fishing pressure has been light.
• Anglers have been catching nice-sized trout on the Youghiogheny River near the outflow from the dam, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Brittany Kozak of Smithfield caught a 22-inch, 4-pound brown trout on a rubber worm.
• Pittsburgher Noah Heck won a Kayak Anglers of Western Pennsylvania fishing tournament on Lake Arthurs this past weekend, tossing spinnerbaits and buzzbaits to get largemouth and smallmouth bass.
• On Yough Lake itself, fishermen have been picking up smallmouth bass.
• Greenlick Lake has been getting steady fishing pressure, with anglers taking a few walleyes along with some channel catfish. Bluegills have been hitting, too, though none of any size.
• At Somerset Lake, anglers fishing with nightcrawlers have been getting some bass, with one angler reporting a 20-incher. A few crappies have been hitting, along with channel catfish, too.
• Brent Ross was fishing Upper twin lake in Greensburg with his 3-year-old son Brody when they hooked a large carp. They landed it after a 20-minute fight using Brody's 3-foot-long Zebco rod and reel combo.
• Fishermen tossing crankbaits and jerkbaits have been picking up smallmouth bass on the Allegheny River. The catfish action has been slow, however.
• At Cross Creek Lake, fishermen have been getting nice-sized bluegills on red worms and nightcrawlers. Bass have been hitting jigs and shiners.
• Anglers report a number of nice trout caught this past weekend on Wills Creek, including a 17-inch golden rainbow, according to the Fish and Boat Commission.
• High Point Lake has been giving up bass, bluegills and catfish. Bass, Bluegill, and catfish have been the main catch lately at High Point Lake.
• Families have been hitting Acme Dam on most recent evenings, with bluegills and bullhead catfish providing most of the action.
• Anglers have been doing well with largemouth and smallmouth bass at the Quemahoning Reservoir. A few bullhead catfish are being caught at night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Fishing report: Fishing slow despite great weather in Western Pennsylvania
- Pa. Game Commission seeks hunting license fee hike
- Goose can be made tasty by following simple steps
- Effort to rebuild Hereford Manor begins
- Outdoor notices: Aug. 23, 2015
- Outdoors notebook: Milestone reached in peregrine recovery effort
- Outdoors notices: Aug. 24, 2015