Outdoor notices: July 21, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Forbes State Forest in Westmoreland County will host a two-mile firefly hike along Roaring Run Trail from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Friday. Meet at the parking lot off County Line Road. For information or directions, call 724-259-2201 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a free stream hike through Todd Sanctuary in Butler County at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Participants will explore some of the reserve's watery habitats. Call 412-963-6100.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a frog and toad night hike from 8 to 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 2. There will be a short indoor presentation followed by a hike to listen for frog and toad calls. Bring bug spray and a flashlight. Preregistration is required. Call 724-899-3611.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will hold a free blue heron and kingfisher kayak paddle on the lake starting at 9 a.m. on Sunday. Bring your own kayak or borrow one of the park's to explore Lake Arthur and look for some of its more interesting bird species. Call 724-368-3612.
• Forbes State Forest in Westmoreland County will hold a beginner's mountain bike trip starting at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday. Meet at the warming hut parking lot off Laurel Summit Road. Participants will learn the basics, then take a ride. Preregistration is required by calling 724-259-2201 or emailing email@example.com.
• Venture Outdoors will host a campfire building for kids program from 10 a.m. to noon on Aug. 3 at Riverview Park. Geared for those ages 8 to 18, it will focus on collecting your materials, placing your fire and building it, along with fire safety and Leave No Trace ethics. Cost is $5 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will hold free family fishing programs at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Aug. 9. Participants will learn how to rig a fishing rod, types of bait, knot tying, rules and regulations, casting practice, hands-on fishing, and more. Participants are not required to have a fishing license and all equipment will be provided. Participants must bring a child. Preregistration is required by calling 724-368-3612.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a “bike fishing the Yough” fishing excursion along the Great Allegheny Passage between Ramcat and Ohiopyle in Fayette County from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Aug. 2. Participants will bike nine miles and fly fish for trout and smallmouth bass on one of the lesser-used sections of the trail. Cost is $65 for members, $85 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center and Moraine State Park in Butler County will lead a beginner's backpack trip along the North Country Trail from 9 a.m. Aug. 23 to 3 p.m. Aug. 24. The program will begin at Jennings with the basics if planning and preparing for a trip. The hike will follow and include tips on navigation and selecting gear, backcountry cooking, water filtration and purification, and more. Participants must be 16 and older and will overnight in a trailside shelter. Space is limited and preregistration is required by contacting
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hunting changes made in Pennsylvania, but more tweaks expected
- Deer reporting failures spark debate for Pa. Game Commission
- Outdoors notebook: Grouse Society seeks forest changes
- Adventurer turned lure maker crafts fish-catching jigs
- Walleye numbers spotty at 3 Western Pennsylvania lakes
- Opportunities aplenty to spend quality time outdoors
- Fishing report: Weather slows fishing, but some action available