Outdoors notices: July 28, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead free hikes along the Butler-Freeport Trail in Butler County starting at 9 a.m. on Aug. 2, 9, 16 and 23. A naturalist will lead the hike, which follows Buffalo Creek, to look for songbirds and more. To register and for directions to the trailhead, call 412-963-6100.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a frog and toad night hike from 8-10:30 p.m. on Aug. 2. There will be a short indoor presentation followed by a hike to listen for frog and toad calls. Bring bug spray and a flashlight. Preregistration is required. Call 724-899-3611.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will host a hike along Ferncliff Peninsula from 10-11:30 a.m. on Aug. 3. Hikers will visit the site of the former Ferncliff Hotel and learn what makes the peninsula special today. Call 724-329-0986.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a “meteors and more” hike from 8:30-10 p.m. on Aug. 15 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will look for the Perseid meteors, weather permitting, and more. Bring optics and a blanket or lawn chair. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County will hold an evening eco-paddle from 6-7:30 p.m. on Aug. 1. Participants will explore the lake's wildlife and plants. There's no cost, but preregistration is required by calling 814-352-8649.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will hold a free evening kayak paddle from 6-8 p.m. on Aug. 22. Participants will look for herons, osprey and bryozoans. Preregistration is required by calling 724-668-2566.
• Venture Outdoors will host a campfire building for kids program from 10 a.m.-noon on Aug. 3 at Riverview Park. Geared for those ages 8 to 18, it will focus on collecting your materials, placing your fire and building it, along with fire safety and Leave No Trace ethics. Cost is $5 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will hold a program on Pennsylvania's black bears from 8:30-10 p.m. on Aug. 9. Participants will learn some natural history, hear where bears are found in the park and watch an award-winning movie. Call 724-329-0986.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will hold a free program on Pennsylvania's reptiles and amphibians from 7-8 p.m. on Aug. 16. Meet at the visitor center for a program that will include a slide show, live animals and more. Call 724-668-2566.
• Venture Outdoors will host a “family creek adventure” program from 10 a.m.-noon on Aug. 17 at Bird Park in Pittsburgh's South Hills. Participants will learn about the creatures that make the park and its creek their home, then have time to explore on their own. Sturdy shoes that can get wet are recommended. Cost is $5 for kids, $6 for members and $10 for others. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a “bike fishing the Yough” fishing excursion along the Great Allegheny Passage between Ramcat and Ohiopyle in Fayette County from 9 a.m-5 p.m. on Aug. 2. Participants will bike nine miles and fly fish for trout and smallmouth bass on one of the lesser-used sections of the trail. Cost is $65 for members, $85 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will hold a free family fishing program at 1 p.m. on Aug. 9. Participants will learn how to rig a fishing rod, types of bait, knot tying, rules and regulations, casting practice, hands-on fishing, and more. Participants are not required to have a fishing license and all equipment will be provided. Participants must bring a child, however. Preregistration is required by calling 724-368-3612.
Show commenting policy