Fishing report: Fishing spotty around region
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Fifteen-year-old Luke Geiger of Mt. Pleasant recently made quite the catch while in Ocean Isle, N.C. He was fishing a mile offshore when he landed a 6-foot, 130-pound black tip shark.
• The fishing continues to be tough at Pymatuning Lake, especially for walleyes, though some report having success by trolling Hot ‘N Tots. Some of the catches have come for those fishing at 20 to 23 feet. Channel catfish are active at the lake, with chicken livers taking many.
• On the Allegheny River, bass anglers competing in a recent tournament did well fishing around lock wall one, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. The smallmouth bite is slow in most sections of the river, however. In the Armstrong County portion of the Allegheny, anglers were picking up some channel catfish despite high water, and one man caught and released a 45-pound flathead near Freeport.
• On the Yough River, fishermen are doing well on smallmouth bass, trout, channel catfish and drum between Ohiople and Layton, according to a commission report. The top baits are worms, crayfish and minnows.
• At Presque Isle Bay, anglers report taking decent numbers of largemouth bass and even some northern pike, with one 38-incher caught recently.
• On Lake Erie itself, walleye anglers are taking fish, with plugs, worm harnesses and spoons all working equally well.
• Virgin Run Dam is producing some decent-sized panfish. Red worms and nightcrawlers are the best baits.
• Turbid water is limiting the fishing on the Monongahela River, though those fishing near the locks and their tailraces are picking up flathead and channel catfish. Largemouth bass are hitting in spots, too.
• At Donegal Lake, anglers are doing well on channel catfish, especially for those fishing at night around Hyatt's Cove and the smaller boat ramp. Largemouth bass are hitting, too, and one angler reportedly caught a 16-inch crappie.
• Anglers are picking up channel catfish at dusk at Lake Somerset, with chicken livers the top-producing bait. Those able to get boats on the lake have collected a few walleyes, too.
• Dusk is the time for anglers to do well on largemouth bass at Keystone State Park's lake. The best fishing is enjoyed by those in boats.
• Fluctuating water levels at Shenango Dam is playing havoc with the fishing there, making it impossible to launch a boat at times. Anglers fishing after dark are taking some striped bass and walleyes, however.
• A bass tournament on Yough Dam turned up a 7.48-pound largemouth.
• At Lake Arthur, anglers are doing well on crappies and large channel cats in the newly opened portion of the Swamp Run bay. Live minnows are the most productive bait. Nice catches of walleyes are reported near Nealey's Point on the north shore, with slow trolling or drifting with crawler harnesses taking fish.
• Those fishing Lake Wilhelm close to the dam are picking up some walleyes, according to reports. Worm harnesses have accounted for most catches. Panfish are hitting, too, but they are mostly small.
• At Raccoon Lake in Raccoon Creek State Park, anglers are getting some largemouth bass on nightcrawlers. Panfish are hitting, though there is not much size to them.
Show commenting policy