Outdoors notices: Aug. 11, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead free hikes along the Butler-Freeport Trail in Butler County starting at 9 a.m. Aug. 16 and 23. A naturalist will lead the hike, which follows Buffalo Creek, to look for songbirds and more. To register and for directions to the trailhead, call 412-963-6100.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a “meteors and more” hike from 8:30-10 p.m. Aug. 15 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will look for the Perseid meteors, weather permitting, and more. Bring optics and a blanket or lawn chair. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will hold a free evening kayak paddle from 6-8 p.m. Aug. 22. Participants will look for herons, osprey and bryozoans. Preregistration is required by calling 724-668-2566.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will hold a program on Pennsylvania's venomous snakes from 7-8:30 p.m. Aug. 15. Meet at the north shore amphitheater to learn about snakes, their role in the ecosystem, and more, all while seeing some live specimens. Call 724-357-7913.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will hold a free program on Pennsylvania's reptiles and amphibians from 7-8 p.m. Aug. 16. Meet at the visitor center for a program that will include a slide show, live animals and more. Call 724-668-2566.
• Venture Outdoors will host a “family creek adventure” program from 10 a.m.-noon Aug. 17 at Bird Park in Pittsburgh's South Hills. Participants will learn about the creatures that make the park and its creek their home, then have time to explore on their own. Sturdy shoes that can get wet are recommended. Cost is $5 for kids, $6 for members and $10 for others. Call 412-255-0564.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will hold a program on the basics of camping and backpacking from 2-4 p.m. Aug. 17 in its environmental learning classroom. Participants will learn how to properly plan a trip taking into account the four Ws: water, weather, wildlife and widowmakers. Participants will also be able to register for a backpack trip to be held within the park Sept. 5-7. Call 724-357-7913.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Outdoors notebook: Legislature considering outdoors proposals
- Game lands permit idea by Pennsylvania Game Commission upsets hikers
- Pa. Fish and Boat Commission makes controversial trout decision
- Frye: Mystery rifle stirs memories
- Outdoor notices: Jan. 25, 2015
- Game Commission makes early switch, Martone relieved of board seat
- New breed in gun clubs’ sights as shooting ranges go stylish