Outdoor notices: Aug. 25, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will host a free naturalist-led nature morning hike at Todd Nature Reserve in Butler County from 9-10 a.m. on Friday. Call 412-963-6100 to register.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a free nature hike through Murrysville Community Park and Walter Nature Reserve starting at 10 a.m. Sept. 13. For directions, visit wbnc.net/#outings.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a two-mile storytelling and campfire hike from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Sept. 14 in Robin Hill Park in Allegheny County. Participants will do the walk, then go to an 1800s-era log cabin to toast marshmallows and hear stories. Cost is $5 for children, $6 for members and $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a kayak paddle on Quemahoning Reservoir in Somerset County from 3:30-8 p.m. Saturday. Participants must be at least 12 years old and some previous experience is required. All equipment is provided. Cost is $40 for members and $65 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will host a canoe outing at Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County starting at 10 a.m. Sept. 14. The event is free, but you have to provide your own canoe. Meet at the north boat launch, just beyond the bridge over Laurel Hill Creek.
• Yellow Creek State park in Indiana County will hold a free program on the wildlife of Pennsylvania from 2-3 p.m. Saturday at the beach in the main day-use area. A naturalist will discuss white-tailed deer, black bears, elk, owls and more. Call 724-357-7913.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will lead a free outing to Sewickley Heights Borough Park in Allegheny County starting at 7:30 a.m. Sept. 5 and Sept. 12. Participants will also makes stops along Little Sewickley Creek. Bring water and lunch and be prepared for muddy trails. Directions to the park can be found at 3rbc.org.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a hawk watching for beginners program from 10 a.m.-noon Sept. 6 at Succop Nature Reserve in Butler County. This classroom session will cover the basics of how to identify hawks during their fall migration. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is making special one-day $1 fishing licenses available for use statewide Sept. 1. Licenses can be purchased at The Outdoor Shop at fishandboat.com or at license issuing agents across Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy