Fishing report: Catfish hitting on Ohio River
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Fishing the Ohio River upstream of Sewickley, Steve Manukas of Cranberry and his children, Michelle and Christopher, landed about 150 pounds of catfish in a little over three hours, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Michelle's largest was a flathead that went 41 inches and 34 1⁄2 pounds; Christopher's largest was a flathead going 38 inches and 26 pounds. All hit on cut shad.
• Mammoth Park anglers are getting largemouth bass on bluegills fishing primarily around the deeper end of the lake.
• At Laurel Hill Lake, anglers drifting in boats, with nightcrawlers and minnows under a bobber, are picking up largemouth bass. A few smallish perch and some bluegills were also caught.
• Fishing on the Allegheny River is limited lately due to high, muddy waters, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• Anglers are picking up a few smallmouth bass on the Yough River between Smithton and Cedar Creek, mostly on minnows and nightcrawlers, but muddy water is an issue.
• Crappies and the occasional jumbo yellow perch are hitting at Pymatuning Lake. Minnows fished under a bobber or on a jig are accounting for most catches.
• At Lake Arthur, anglers are getting good numbers of channel cats and loads of bullhead catfish at dusk and after dark on chicken livers, blood baits and nightcrawlers. Bluegills are hitting as well, though few of exceptional size were reported.
• Glade Run Lake is giving up some decent bluegills and the occasional crappie. Largemouth bass are hitting, too.
• A few people are fishing Indian Lake, getting carp on dough baits and bass and panfish on red worms and nightcrawlers.
• Dunlap Creek Lake anglers able to battle the weeds are getting a few largemouth bass, with nightcrawlers and soft plastic baits rigged to be weedless doing the best, according to reports. Bluegills are hitting fairly well, too.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mentored hunting program gets tweaked
- Game commission to consider longer buck, bear seasons
- Frye: Mystery rifle stirs memories
- Outdoors notebook: Legislature considering outdoors proposals
- Proposal for stocking of Class A waters causes stir
- Pa. Fish and Boat Commission makes controversial trout decision
- Fish and Boat Commissioners look for chances to get kids outside
- Outdoor notices: Jan. 25, 2015