Penguins put enforcer MacIntyre on waivers
The Penguins signed Steve MacIntyre to provide protection for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin this season. However, MacIntyre never really made his presence felt and was placed on waivers Wednesday.
So far, no team has claimed MacIntyre.
The enforcer has not been involved in a fight this season, largely because no one will accept his the challenge of fighting him. He hasn't scored a goal this season and was credited with one assist.
Other NHL teams have until Thursday to claim MacIntyre.
> > The Penguins have sustained another injury. Defenseman Simon Despres, the promising 20-year-old rookie who showed terrific flashes during a month-long stint earlier this season, is out two to four weeks with a knee injury. Coach Dan Bylsma said Despres is suffering from a Grade 1 MCL sprain. The injury occurred halfway through the first period against Ottawa on Tuesday, when Despres attempted to deliver a hit.
> > Defenseman Paul Martin returned to the lineup after missing the past game with an illness. In fact, Martin missed practices Sunday and Monday, as well as Tuesday's game against Ottawa, before returning against Washington on Wednesday night.
> > The Penguins welcomed center Dustin Jeffrey back to the lineup. He played in six games earlier this season but clearly was not himself after returning from a torn ACL that took place in Philadelphia last March.
> > Center Joe Vitale and right wing Colin McDonald were healthy scratches against the Capitals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM Rutherford: Malkin’s play belies fact he missed training camp
- Penguins notebook: After slow start, penalty kill on upswing
- Penguins veteran defenseman Scuderi’s game looking up
- Penguins assistant coach Tocchet wants Letang to shoot more on power play
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- Penguins’ defenseman Maatta confident of full recovery
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- Penguins notebook: Jagr still an impact player in 23rd season
- Penguins notebook: Team celebrates ‘Hockey Fights Cancer’ event
- Maatta had been back in groove after offseason surgery
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade